Friday, February 12, 2010

Valentines

We picked Ben up from the train today, and when he got in the car, Eli noticed he was holding a package in his hands. I could tell that the package had flowers for Valentine’s Day, but they were wrapped in paper so Eli didn’t know what was inside.

“Is that a present for me?” Eli asked.

“No, it’s a present for Mama,” Ben said.

“A present for me and Mama?” Eli said.

“Okay, a present for you, Mama, and Charlie,” Ben said. “So what do you think it is?”

Eli’s face lit up. “A helicopter?”

“No…” Ben said, trying not to laugh. (Eli was being sincere)

“A train?”

“No…”

Needless to say, Eli wasn’t very excited when we got home and opened the package to find a bouquet of beautiful, bright pink tulips. I love them, especially since Ben’s not known for giving flowers. :) (He would say this makes it more special) It definitely was a nice surprise. Ben wrapped up a cookie for Eli after dinner as a consolation prize.

With Valentine’s Day just around the corner, I’ve continued to try to get a cute picture of the boys together so we could send photo Valentines to family members. But nope, didn’t happen. I think the pictures are cute, but not what I was looking for (but who am I kidding??). DSC_1029 copyDSC_1039 copyDSC_1045 copyDSC_1079 copy
Both boys like to stuff cars in this cement mixer that we bought at our neighbors’ toy sale to raise money for Haiti relief.
DSC_1097 copy
But Charlie gets frustrated when the cars get stuck.
DSC_1102 copy
Mellow Charlie:
DSC_1179 copy
Doing play-doh together, sort of (more like Eli doing play-doh and Charlie playing with the tools):
DSC_1188 copy
We had a foot of snow this week. Thankfully, the sun has been shining and melting a little bit. I am embarrassed to say I have yet to take Eli out to play in the snow. It’s been cold (20s). Ben said he’ll take him out tomorrow and they can build a snowman. You can see below that I finally tried to put the cover on the sand table, but one of the bulkier toys was stuck, frozen in ice, and preventing me from closing the cover entirely.
DSC_1220 copyDSC_1222 copy
I went to Eli’s little preschool Valentine’s party, where they decorated heart cookies.
DSC_1230 copy
Eli doesn’t waste much time decorating. He puts minimal amounts of frosting and sprinkles, then digs in.
DSC_1251 copyDSC_1233 copy
He was in a silly mood…
DSC_1264 copy
Charlie and Ava were having fun watching the teacher’s dog running around outside. I can’t confirm or deny if Charlie ate any dog food while he was over there (yuck!!).
DSC_1273 copy
The preschool is taught by a Montessori teacher, so the kids use glasses and practice pouring with little pitchers.
DSC_1279 copy
Next – we have Charlie in the early morning (for the last few mornings, he’s woken up for the day at 5:30 a.m. – it’s wayyyyyy too early for me). He was climbing and getting into all sorts of trouble today. He is so opposite Eli in that way (since Eli has never been a climber).
DSC_1287 copy
But later, when Eli was awake, he kept running back and forth from the family room to the living room.
DSC_1322 copy
Doing his favorite trick along the way (downward dog, then sticking his leg out behind him)
DSC_1357 copy
Tonight I made sausage and lentil soup. My mouth fell open when I saw BOTH kids actually taking spoonfuls of the soup. I had very low expectations. Charlie really enjoyed it (though I’m not sure how much actually made it into his stomach).
DSC_1384 copyDSC_1392 copyDSC_1406 copyDSC_1418 copy
Here’s Eli with his present – the cookie.
DSC_1459 copy
And cute Eli during bathtime tonight, washing off the cookie crumbs:
DSC_1490 copy
Charlie took really long naps today because he was up so dang early, so I wanted to keep him up a little bit later with the hope that MAYBE he would sleep later tomorrow. I kind of doubt it, but you never know… So instead, he kept running behind the couch over to Ben, who was exercising on the bike. Finally Ben picked him up and put Charlie on his shoulders. It was pretty funny.
DSC_1494 copyDSC_1497 copyDSC_1498 copy
Ben also tried putting Charlie on the handlebars, but that didn’t work very well (Charlie is too wriggly).
DSC_1501 copy
And finally, some random stats for the week:
  • Funniest word Eli used this week - "wrangle" when he heard me asking Ben to wrangle Charlie (used in the definition - "to herd")

  • Second funniest word Eli used this week - We've had lots of time together at the potty. We've taught Eli the correct terminology, but he has chosen to call his unit a "peanut" - it's all I can do to not start laughing every time he says he's pushing his peanut down (we've had some accidents where the pee was all over the place so now he's more careful. Sorry for TMI)

  • Number of times I changed Eli's clothes yesterday (it was an especially bad day w/ potty accidents) - 10. Seriously. We started doing pj pants by the afternoon because I was running out of regular pants. I’m sticking with the potty training though, energized because…

  • Number of potty accidents today - 0 (Yeah!! HUGE improvement over yesterday's problems) The highlight for me was when I was cooking in the kitchen and came in to the office to find that Eli had just pooped on his potty. Totally on his own volition, pulled his pants down and everything. Seriously, I could have jumped up and down, I was so thrilled. More TMI, I know. I think he might be getting it. I had him go pretty often... he probably sat on the potty 12+ times today.

  • Favorite toddler potty/easiest to clean and use - Baby Bjorn potty

  • Loaves of bread we consume in a week – 2

  • Gallons of milk the boys drink in a week - 2 1/2

  • Boxes of cheerios the boys eat in a week - 3/4 of a box

  • Number of bananas inhaled in a week - 14+

  • My favorite new cooking/recipe blog of the week – For the Love of Cooking

9 comments:

Brittany said...

yay for progress in potty training! there's a kid i babysit sometimes who is 4 and still not potty trained! so frustrating! i love the funny things kids say, and wrangle is probably the funniest. love it!

Gwendolyn said...

You always post such great pictures, Sarah! And your second bullet point reminds me of a great joke from a Mystery Science Theater 3000 movie (The Touch of Satan) where one of the characters tells another why a drink is so good (because of the peanuts) and, actually this comment is going downhill fast, I think I'll just stop there. Anyway, Eli's got a hilarious take on things :)

Jenna{Mommy in Manhattan} said...

your soup sounds delish! Hooray for Eli having 0 accidents yesterday! That is a huge accomplishment! I think I need to jump on the potty training train!

Krista said...

wow. I must try this soup. I laughed out loud when he called his "unit" a "peanut." That is so funny. I would laugh every time. Kai yesterday at target yelled to me, "Oh no my poopers going out." which meant the unfortunate #2 was making its debut. We RAN to the bathroom and unfortunately mickey was a little pooped on...but we made it to the potty. phew.

Marci said...

Wow! That is a lot of milk, bananas and bread! Between all of us we don't even go through a gallon before it goes bad. I wish we were better milk drinkers! Thank goodness for yogurt, cheese and vitamins so we get our calcium :-). And hooray for potty training progress!

Lindy & Trever said...

I love your cute pictures and hilarious stories. The stats below about food consumption are also fun. I can't imagine going through so much milk but I know my days will come.

Aaron and Emily said...

first - I can't believe Ben bought you flowers. Go, Ben!

second - I am glad our kids are not the only ones to go through so much milk in a week.

Beckie said...

F U N ! I think it's funny that he calls it a peanut! I liked your stats for the week too!
Sorry I missed out on the soup. The boys made it look YUMM-O!!!

Emily said...

I had to laugh about the peanut, too. My niece also dubbed it that. She asked her mom about a boy at daycare, if he had a peanut or something like that. My sister was totally confused, and her daughter was getting frustrated. Finally my sister asked what a peanut was and her daughter said, "You know, a triangle, right THERE!"