Friday, February 05, 2010

Wintry Days at Home

You would think that after not blogging for over a week, I would have some stories of a terrific vacation or other exciting adventures. But no, we’ve just been home, occasionally venturing out to playgroup, exercising at the gym (Eli actually gets EXCITED when we’re there – he’s come a long way since he was 11 months and screaming in the kids club. Charlie is warming up to the idea. Slowly.), running a few errands, seeing friends. But no exotic trips, despite our great desire to escape this cold place and visit family or friends in warmer locales.

Other things keeping me busy - I’ve had some freelance deadlines and have also decided to donate photography sessions to a few school auctions in our area, partly to be nice and help the schools, and also to make new contacts for future photography sessions. The first auction is this Saturday, so I’ve been scrambling to get my site together and figure out some sort of publicity/postcards that people can take if they’re interested in a session outside of the auction.

On to the pictures. You know I have a bunch since the last post was a while ago… :)

Eli dressed up after church on Sunday. I love his cute tie. Though keep in mind this is after church, so his tie is loose and shirt untucked.

DSC_0665 copyDSC_0666 copy

Later in the afternoon, this guy was so pooped. But not willing to take a nap, just lay on the couch and watch a show. Eli is my stubborn non-napper :)

DSC_0705 copy

The day before, we picked up Davey for the weekend and went bowling. Eli LOVES bowling and had a blast. Here he is with the ball helper thing.

DSC_0651 copyDSC_0649 copy

It was so sweet to see him cheering each time, even if none of the pins went down.

DSC_0648 copy

Meanwhile, Charlie was practicing the art of narrowly not getting his fingers smashed between the bowling balls.

DSC_0647 copy

It is hard to bowl with a 1-year-old who wants to wander where he pleases. Eli was trying to keep him in check, which wasn’t really working. Do you see that sad scratch on Eli’s cheek? He tripped and fell on the sidewalk as we were walking into the bowling alley, poor guy.

DSC_0644 copy

Cheering once again -

DSC_0642 copy

Davey is a serious bowler and usually bowls in a league every Saturday morning. He beat us all, I think with a 117?

DSC_0640 copy

He also did a good job of wrangling our busy Charlie.

DSC_0634 copy

Back at home on a different night, I think maybe Monday evening? These are Ben’s eyes at the end of the day. Tired. But happy to be home. And Charlie is the blanket snuggler, it’s very sweet.

DSC_0623 copy

He is also sporting the shirt that is too big for him (sizes on kids clothes can be so wacky sometimes) -

DSC_0601 copy

Charlie is still dragging his birthday balloon around the house – it makes him light up when he sees that funny thing.

DSC_0597 copy

We’ve tried to use the potty off and on, especially on days when we’re mostly just at home all day. It’s sort of working.

DSC_0564 copy

Eli likes to string the markers together, like this:

DSC_0562 copy

And Charlie is constantly chewing on something.

DSC_0721 copyDSC_0723 copy

I love how his jammies scrunch up after sleeping in them overnight. Jennie Blum, if you’re reading this, know that I think of you every time I put these on my little guy! They are my fav. pjs.

DSC_0730 copy

More things in his mouth.

DSC_0737 copy

Charlie also likes to open boxes. This is potty #2. Eli’s preschool teacher, Nancy, suggested we have a potty on both floors. I decided what the heck, she’s right, it would be easier than schlepping the one poppy up and down constantly. And have I confessed my love for Amazon Prime? I love it. Love it. Love it. There you go.

DSC_0745 copy

Here’s Eli coming home with his other preschool teacher, Rebekeh, who gave him a ride home on the “big blue bus.” Normally she gives him a ride in the morning (since Charlie’s napping then) and then I pick him up, but Charlie was sleeping funny that day and she offered to give him a ride home too. Thank you!!!

DSC_0756 copy

DSC_0757 copy

Eli loves the big blue bus (her blue minivan). I love it too.

DSC_0759_copy

Now we’re back to Charlie on a different morning, when he snuck into the cookie jar and was helping himself. I’d like to think he was learning his letters at the same time. At least that makes me feel better that he’s consuming all of that sugar at 8 a.m. (I’m totally kidding of course)

DSC_0779 copy

Back to the things Charlie chews series. Water bottles…

DSC_0807 copy

Little toys that are probably choking hazards, but I promise I’m watching him…

DSC_0827 copy

Next is the “brothers interacting series.”

DSC_0852 copy

Eli: “Here Charlie! Pass me the ball!”

DSC_0867 copy

Charlie gives it to him, and Eli immediately takes possession and doesn’t give it back.

DSC_0868 copy

Then he runs away (it’s blurry, but he’s in the family room, about to throw the ball behind the couch).

DSC_0869 copy

Charlie is extremely disappointed and starts crying. Eli walks back to him with a slight smirk, little stinker!

DSC_0871 copy

He acts so innocent sometimes, but I know he likes to tease Charlie too. Eli is also obsessed with the random fliers/ads that come in kids’ dvd cases.

DSC_0879 copy

Later today, I decided to try to get some shots of the boys together. Hah! That was a lofty goal.

DSC_0893 copyDSC_0897 copyDSC_0914 copyDSC_0918 copyDSC_0924 copyDSC_0928 copy

To Charlie’s credit, it was time for nap #2 and he wasn’t in the mood to have my camera in his face. I gave up and put him to bed.

DSC_0938 copy

And here’s Eli on the red potty. Yes, I’ve been keeping it in the office during the day because it’s sort of a central spot in the house. And our first floor bathroom is COLD. I don’t want to hang out in there all day long!

Eli went without a diaper all day and only had three accidents from 7:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. Not bad! He’s a pro at pooping in the potty (sorry, I know not all of you care about these details), can usually pee on demand (if I ask him to try and go to the potty), but sometimes has a hard time stopping it if he is playing and doesn’t notice that he’s going.

DSC_0960 copy

It’s okay, I feel happy we’re making progress at least. Happy February!

5 comments:

Marci said...

I hate potty training - I'm too lazy for it (Addie could totally be trained right now, but I haven't taken the time to finish the process so she just goes on the potty when she feels like it) - sometimes I wish my kids went to day care just so someone else could do it for me :-). I love Charlie in his little jammie suit. And how exciting that your photography business is really getting started! Congrats!(and I really am sorry you are SO cold there :-)! Mike just told me the rest of Feb is supposed to be below average here and I wanted to cry)

Jenna{Mommy in Manhattan} said...

hey Sarah! looks like a fun week with the kiddos.

What potty do you use? I can order it on Amazon right? I really need to start and you have it right...winter months are perfect because we are inside!

bowling looks fun too. I really want to go.

Unknown said...

isn't blogging in the winter hard? i'm constantly trying to think of things but how exciting is hanging out at home all the time?!? my kids love those fliers that come in the dvds/cds/video games, too. funny.

Unknown said...

heh... Potty training... We;ll be talking, Sarah... Dawna was so easy... before she was 2... I feel like Larry is so behind--showing NO interest in potty stuff... So once you figure all the boy potty stuff out, you'll have to pass on all your motherly wisdom.

And as always... I adore your photography!

Elizabeth Severson said...

fun pictures of the boys! Charlie looks like a big boy already!
Sofia was easy to potty train. I I don't how is going to be with my little boy. Good luck!