Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Happy 9th Anniversary!

Holy cow. That number has such a substantial sound to it – we were married nine years ago in the LDS Bountiful Temple. We’ve had lots of happy times, some sad times, lots of fun, crazy memories, some frustrations and fights, communication and miscommunication… basically all that you would expect when you are with someone you love for that long. One interesting fact is that we've only lived in three homes - our condo in Utah, and then our condo and house here. We've only moved two times!

Looking back, I think it’s a little nuts that we got married when I was barely 20 years old and Ben was 22. I met Ben while my college roommate was dating one of his friends from California. Ben and a group of guys came over to our apartment to pick up my roommate… Ben’s blue eyes were the first thing I saw when I opened that door! We dated for about 7 months before getting married in December in the middle of our junior year at BYU, on the day after finals.

Here are some of the things I appreciate nine years later about my husband:

  • Ben is careful with money, which is a good balance to my tendency to spend money.
  • Ben is a great father – our boys LIGHT up the minute he walks in the door after work. He is very helpful and fun with them and they love their time with him.
  • He’s great at fixing things and is very resourceful with problems around the house
  • Ben is very loving and understanding with me, despite my craziness that often abounds from stress about freelance work or whatever else I have going on.
  • He is very intelligent, analytical, and makes decisions very carefully. Sometimes I think he wishes he were faster at responding to a difficult situation, but I am grateful that he thinks things through.

I went through old pictures today and found some of the highlights from our married life together. Below is a recap of some of the fun things we’ve experienced over the last nine years.

These go as far back as 2004, which is when I first had a digital camera. I didn’t have it in me to scan in any of our older pictures. There’s nothing like having your anniversary a week before Christmas!! Oh so busy.

Here we are on a last-minute blitz trip to Boston – it was so, so fun – one of the perks to not having kids early on meant we could do lots of quick getaways:

DSC01450

And I have no idea what this is from, but we look SO young!

DSC02611

We’ve attended Cubs games together:

DSC02757

Bought nine Christmas trees together:

DSC03051

Danced together:

FH000009

Tried to enjoy the long, snowy, cold, gray Chicago winters:

DSC03242

Drove into Mexico over the border a few times but have never taken a true Mexican vacation:

DSC03363

We’ve hiked in Muir Woods:

DSC03617DSC03632

We’ve enjoyed Chicago together:

DSC04087DSC05088

Ben has put up with my countless pictures as I practice my photography skills:

DSC05595

We’ve enjoyed picnics at Ravinia together:

DSC05711

If it wasn’t so stinking cold outside (7 degrees), maybe I would have gone out to the rocks at Northwestern and written you a message like this one (it says Katie You’re SPECIAL STILL). You are special still, Ben :)

nu_rock2

We’ve taken road trips together (like this one to Minneapolis):

DSC05774

Spent time in California together with Ben’s family:

DSC07394DSC07491DSC07494

We’ve traveled out of the country together (Peru):

DSC08235DSC08252DSC08280DSC08579DSC08671DSC08687DSC08754DSC08952DSC08954DSC09026

And we’ve celebrated every holiday together (like St. Patrick’s Day):

DSC09536

We’ve gone to the lake NUMEROUS times…

DSC00008

And the ocean too:

DSC00593DSC00642DSC00682

We’ve seen beautiful sunsets at Door County:

DSC01730DSC01864

And eaten a good ol’ Wisconsin fish fry:

DSC01881DSC01903DSC01938DSC01964

We’ve celebrated lots of anniversaries in downtown Chicago:

DSC03064bs_upclose

We suffered the misery of infertility and then had the joy of having two sweet boys (the pic below was the Christmas when I was prego w/ Eli):

DSC03179

We enjoyed five years of grad school life as Ben completed his PhD:

DSC_0050

Side observation – looking back at these pictures, Eli was emotional even as a 6-week-old… :) (I say this because yesterday he was flipping out at me right and left – holy moly, his age is the crazy EMOTIONAL twos rather than the terrible twos… “NO I don’t want to…! YES – I DO! NO! YES!” he doesn’t know what he wants half the time – but whatever we say is WRONG when he gets in one of those moods)

DSC_0083

We survived six years in our condo, living below the loud dog lady and above the crazy lady who did NOT like us. We survived having no assigned street parking and having our car towed and/or ticketed a few times for street cleaning or football games… And we survived having the one allowed window a/c unit, which made summers pretty hot (like it was on Eli’s blessing day).

DSC_0276

We’ve attended fabulous parties together, like Ben’s previous employer’s extravaganza on the beach featuring a private concert by BON JOVI! (this was 2-months postpartum after Eli – I don’t love these pictures of myself but oh well):

DSC08789DSC08790.copyDSC08798DSC08906

We’ve enjoyed some crazy baby faces from our boys:

DSC09011

Done lots of self portraits:

DSC_1469

Taken our babies out to dinner with us:

DSC09628 copyDSC09637

Spent many Christmas’s together and with extended family:

DSC_3705

Taken pictures on the beach (these were in San Diego):

Severson_10Severson_43

Driven to the Tulip Festival in Holland, Michigan:

DSC_0733DSC_0949

Celebrated big birthdays (Eli’s 1st and Ben’s 30th) in a big way (and aren’t we SO glad we didn’t buy the white house in the background with the scary basement full of dirt…???):

DSC_2414

Performed crazy stunts together, like the human pyramid in our condo at 11 p.m. at night:

DSC_3203

Picked lots of apples together:

DSC_5699DSC_5997DSC05975

We’ve tried to get a cute family picture for the holiday card:

DSC_9758

We’ve made quick escapes from Chicago winters together, like when we went to Florida:

DSC_7172

This is out of order, but we made it through two long, difficult births and recoveries and the first exhausting months of having a new baby around:

Baby Eli:

Eli222

Baby Charlie:

DSC_1233

And here we are today, with so much ahead of us! I love you Ben. Happy anniversary!

DSC_0844 bw

16 comments:

Kell's Belles said...

Congratulations! You guys are such a gorgeous, happy couple. I'm wishing you MANY more years of joy together :)

Marci said...

Happy Anniversary!!! You guys are so cute and we will always owe you guys big time for getting together and then setting us up :-)! ...and I can't believe how much Eli looks the same as he did as a newborn!!!

KATINA KARAS STUART said...

Happy happy anniversary to you. What a beautiful couple you are and amazing family. We love you.

Rachel said...

Sarah, I've been so bad about blogging lately -- I rarely click over from Google Reader so I can leave comments. But, I had to comment today and wish you and Ben a very Happy Anniversary! How fun it was so be a part of your big day 9 years ago. It is crazy that we get married so young -- you are only just 30 and have 9 years of marriage under your belt. Pretty amazing! Those old pictures were great -- you guys did look so young. So fun all you were able to do before you had kids. And now looks at you guys, with two darling boys. So happy that you are happy. Have a great day!

Krista said...

you know I was thinking about this just a bit ago...I wanted to know you and ben's story and here it is. What a great life you guys have had thus far together. I loved seeing all the photos and learning a bit more about you two.

Also, you guys look FAN-TASTIC in peru. I refuse to post any photos on the day we went to machu picchu because I looked terrible (seriously.) Johnny tells me that I look like the "hamburglar." I wore a black and white jail-type shirt with a light pink bandana. Why? Why on the biggest pic day? I don't know. The altitude got to me I suppose.

I also LOVE all the trips you've been on big and small.

Happy Anniversary with many more years to come!!

Brittany said...

Happy Anniversary! What a fun, sweet post with lots of great pictures!

Amber said...

Happy Anniversary! What a cool tribute-lots of great pics!

tatum said...

yay, congrats! not that i don't love seeing your cute little boys, but it was nice to see more pics of you and your hubby. your cute Christmas card is hanging on our fireplace! i still remember one winter in Evanston when we were at your place for some reason, i totally forgot, and Sam and i were admiring your wall literally covered in Christmas cards from other Kellogg peeps who have come and gone and Ben said something to the effect of, "you better keep in touch when you guys leave so you can be on this wall, too." haha. so i hope we're on there in some place of honor! xoxo

Hillary said...

Happy Anniversary! I'm so glad that we get to share this awesome day with you guys. I loved looking through all the pictures. I'm sure you did too. The good thing about those nine years is that you guys look like you haven't really aged much at all. I hope you get to celebrate together.

Beckie said...

Happy Anniversary! you are such a cute couple and make some very cute kids! I LOVE all of your pictures!!!

Elizabeth Severson said...

Felicidades Ben & Sara! you are a very beautiful couple. I love the pictures of Peru. Sarah you look so tan... very cute.

The Knisley's said...

I love these pictures!! I remember your wedding day like it was yesterday...I even remember the first day you both met!! Whoa... I still can't believe how much time has flown by! You guys have SUCH a beautiful family. I love the updated picture of the fam with Charlie, too!

Unknown said...

What a sweet post! Ben is such a lucky guy... and I knew that from the first time I met you, Sarah :) I remember loving the bridesmaid dresses you picked out for your wedding and wearing it to winter ball AND on my first date with Jon :) I'm so glad you married my brother! Love you both! Can't wait to see you and the little cuties, too!

Gwendolyn said...

Ah I remember that day 9 years ago--you had the most bridemaids of any wedding I've been to before or since :) One of my favorite memories was how hilarious the "bride and groom kiss when the bell rings" rule got in the third hour of the reception--obviously you and Ben were in love, but you had this "enough with the bell ringing!!!" look, it was great. Also did I mention it was a BEAUTIFUL reception? It was. Happy Anniversary!

Krazy Khania said...

My that was sweet! I have tears in my eyes.

The Gramster said...

Happy Anniversary! You're a beautiful couple with a lovely little family. Stay happy forever!