Thursday, September 16, 2010

Desperate Measures

I’m starting my ninth year writing for a newspaper in Chicago called The Gazette. You can view my latest article here about an industrial designer who is creating Chicago’s first vertical farm in the city. It’s a big story and the NYTimes will have a feature on this guy’s project pretty soon.

This month, I’m working on something a little more ordinary/less exciting – about a new Metra train station being built at 35th and Wentworth. I was out yesterday morning on a jog/walk with the kids when I finally got a call back from one of my sources, the Alderwoman from that area. I had called her six or seven times over the last week, hoping to reach her, but never hearing back… so when she actually called me, I knew I had to just ask her my few questions and be done with it. I scrambled to find something in my stroller to use for my notes and found a pen and an old (clean) size 2 diaper, probably from last summer. Works for me! I scribbled down some stuff and was able to decipher most of it when I got home.

Article Notes-1Article Notes-2Article Notes-3

3 comments:

Elizabeth Severson said...

you have pretty good stories to write! your diaper notebook makes me samile:0) so funny!

I'm so impressed with all that you do Sarah! photography, writing, mom....etc inspired me to be better at multitasking.

brookie said...

Oh Sarah, this is hilarious! I could see that diaper selling for thousands of dollars someday when you are a big famous writer!

Marci said...

both hilarious...and impressive that you were able to read that later!