Monday, September 20, 2010

Unsettled

It's been a weird week for our little city. Last week, a dog walker found a decapitated man at the park next to a junior high. Apparently, the man committed suicide at 4 a.m. by strapping a pipe bomb to his chest and setting it off (people in the neighborhood woke up to the sound of the explosion). Can you imagine finding a headless man like that?? It's so horrible. A few days later, the high school had a bomb threat. Weird to have two incidents like that in one week.

And closer to home, like AT my house, someone tried to break in to our house. It's SO CREEPY. Thankfully we had shut and locked all of the windows that night... The burglar pushed the window screen in and used a pry bar to try to open the window, but he wasn't successful (thank goodness).

I'm pretty sure this happened in the night, because I noticed something was awry when I went to open the front window on Friday morning. The screen had been pushed in (and was bowed in a way that looked like it had been pushed in the middle). The metal frame was a little bent too. When Ben came home from work, we went outside and looked at it more closely and saw where the guy used a screwdriver or some other tool to try to wedge it open (there is an indentation in the metal frame).

I've felt unsettled lately after having a nightmare a few weeks ago that someone was trying to break into our house. It really spooked me and I kept trying to brush it off, thinking it was just me being paranoid. Of all the houses to rob on the North Shore, I'd say ours is pretty low on the totem pole in terms of valuable stuff inside. You want my ugly 10-year-old t.v.? It's yours. Just ask me! But don't break into my house.

I get the city's daily crime report by email, and sure enough, today there were multiple listings of homes where someone attempted to pry open a first floor window. There was one home where the burglar was successful, got in through the window and stole a laptop and backpacks.

At least now I don't think I'm totally crazy - the fact that there were other reports from the same day makes me fairly certain that someone did attempt to get in our house. We don't currently have an alarm system, but you can be sure we are getting one now. Thanks Mr. Burglar, for freaking me out enough that I will ALWAYS close and lock our windows at night.

10 comments:

Marci said...

That is SO scary! I would definitely be creeped...and get an alarm :). The husband of my good friend here went out to leave for work a couple weeks agoa and saw some guys walking out of his neighbors house carrying a big flat screen TV...at 8am! Needless to say, they got an alarm system put in too :-).

brookie said...

Yikes!! That is SOOO scary!! Glad you and your fam are safe, but wow! Worst feeling. Someone broke into my storage garage in Provo when I was home for the summer and took EVERYTHING! I'm sure they got top dollar for my crappy cd collection, stereo VHS player and various college junk. Just makes me sick to know my priceless journals/pictures/artwork/etc were just thrown in a dumpster somewhere. Hope you sleep better after that alarm system is installed!

Cami Severson said...

Holy Scary!! I would be having a really hard time sleeping after that! I think I too would be installing an alarm. We have one and it sure does help with the peace of mind.

Jenna{Mommy in Manhattan} said...

Sarah! I am freaking out for you! Scary Scary Evanston. What happened last week?? So not normal! Sorry Sarah, hopefully your alarm has been installed!

The Yosts said...

How Scary! I'm freaked out and I live in a another state! Hopefully with an alarm you'll sleep better. You can always get a dog - they make pretty good alarm systems too.

Krista said...

Yikes! Crowbar indentations!!!

Kell's Belles said...

Ooh, those are some very unsettling incidents! Glad that an alarm system is in the near future (not only because it will protect you, but because it will make you feel better too!).

Aaron and Emily said...

Oh, I would be so freaked out! I know they have those window alarms too, although I have no idea how well they work.

Hillary said...

How scary is that! That's one of my fears too so I usually end up checking our locks a few times before I go to bed. But I probably need to be better about checking our windows as well. I hope getting an alarm system can help you sleep better at night.

Beckie said...

it was a crazy week! my friend same night as your window, someone tried to break in through her back door!!!
scary!