Saturday, October 02, 2010

Indian Summer

The last month has been much warmer than normal, so we’ve taken full advantage, knowing what is to come once winter hits. A few Sundays ago, we threw the boys in the stroller and headed to one of the parks in the neighborhood (hence the khaki pants and polo shirts – we were lazy that day and didn’t change them out of their church clothes).

SundayAfternoonPark_Sept2010-1SundayAfternoonPark_Sept2010-2SundayAfternoonPark_Sept2010-3SundayAfternoonPark_Sept2010-4SundayAfternoonPark_Sept2010-6SundayAfternoonPark_Sept2010-7

I usually change into comfy clothes on Sunday afternoon, so I was in my sweats :) Have you ever gone on one of these things at the park that spins you around and accelerates as you’re going around? Ohhhhhh I was dizzy and a little bit sick afterward.

SundayAfternoonPark_Sept2010-8SundayAfternoonPark_Sept2010-9

So was Ben :)

SundayAfternoonPark_Sept2010-10SundayAfternoonPark_Sept2010-11

On another day, we headed to the beach last minute with a few friends. It was probably 90 degrees (which is crazy hot for September in Chicago) and super humid, so the kids were all about playing next to and jumping in the lake.

Last Beach Day_Sept2010-1Last Beach Day_Sept2010-3Last Beach Day_Sept2010-4

Charlie and Evelyn were really cute playing together.

Last Beach Day_Sept2010-5Last Beach Day_Sept2010-7Last Beach Day_Sept2010-8Last Beach Day_Sept2010-9Last Beach Day_Sept2010-12

Eli makes me laugh. I guess I need to buy smaller swimsuits for him?? His just don’t stay up, despite that I tie the string as tight as possible. It still slides down… :)

Last Beach Day_Sept2010-13Last Beach Day_Sept2010-14Last Beach Day_Sept2010-15

My skinny little Charlie – he may be extra skinny, but he’s a strong little guy.

Last Beach Day_Sept2010-16Last Beach Day_Sept2010-17

He just needs to EAT!! I hope his lack of eating phase ends soon. He always eats breakfast, then a little less for lunch, and even less for dinner. With a few snacks throughout the day, usually an apple or some crackers. But not enough to technically ruin his appetite for the next meal. It’s crazy to me how little he eats.

Last Beach Day_Sept2010-18Last Beach Day_Sept2010-19

Eli was lost in thought watching the seagulls -

Last Beach Day_Sept2010-21Last Beach Day_Sept2010-22

Ben came home from work and biked over to the lake to meet us. Our kids love being swung around (probably not great for their arms/sockets, but so far they seem fine).

Last Beach Day_Sept2010-23Last Beach Day_Sept2010-24Last Beach Day_Sept2010-25Last Beach Day_Sept2010-26Last Beach Day_Sept2010-27Last Beach Day_Sept2010-29Last Beach Day_Sept2010-30Last Beach Day_Sept2010-31

Ben couldn’t stay long because he had a meeting, but the kids and I hung out at the beach until a storm started rolling in. The boys were oblivious to the looming bad weather, and Eli was out in the water when we first saw lightning (which freaked me out and we got the kids out of the water right away – I didn’t even have time to get a shot of them in the water :)

Last Beach Day_Sept2010-32

Looking for rocks to throw -

Last Beach Day_Sept2010-34Last Beach Day_Sept2010-35Last Beach Day_Sept2010-36Last Beach Day_Sept2010-37Last Beach Day_Sept2010-38Last Beach Day_Sept2010-39Last Beach Day_Sept2010-40

As the sky grew darker (not obvious in these pictures, but it got REALLY dark and ominous), I realized that I was stuck taking the kids home in the bike trailer (since Ben left with the car). I quickly packed up our stuff (with help from friends) and biked home faster than I have ever biked before. I had the rain cover down on the trailer, so I couldn’t hear the kids fighting inside (so nice!) and my legs were BURNING as I rode uphill. My friend Khania followed me home with her car to make sure I wasn’t hit by lightning (or by a down tree – the wind was blowing so fast). I was so relieved when we made it home before the storm really kicked in! And glad we snuck in one last beach day before fall really appeared.

4 comments:

kelly said...

i love how involved and happy your husband seems! also, wouldn't you kill for natural highlights like that little evelyn's!?! precious pictures, sarah...

Krista said...

your hair looks so long in those pics. Is it still that long?! What a great and oh so hot day and then crazy weather. I still am amazed you rode your bike home! Seeing all it took for me was to get in the car and I had sand or something in my eye all night after that. You had to ride all the way home! I also like the ben twirling the kids pics. What kid doesn't love to do that, although when you wrote about their sockets coming out...that made my arm sockets hurt just thinking about it. :)

Marci said...

Your pictures just keep getting better! I am in love of the ones of your boys by the water..so cute!

Marci said...
This comment has been removed by the author.