Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Heard at the Paper Source

Today is one of those rare, extremely long days when Ben went to work at 6:30 a.m. and is STILL out. Tonight he’s out to dinner at a fancy Chicago restaurant with work people while I sit at home in my pjs (spouses are never invited, of course). I just called him to make sure he was still alive (the dinner started at 6:30 p.m. – it’s now 11 p.m.) and he said he would head home soon. Wonderful.

So… to break up the day a little, this evening I took the boys out and picked up my favorite cheeseless pizza from Homemade Pizza and made our regular visit to the Paper Source. While we were in there, Eli picked up one of the toys and carried it around, a Sound Machine with 16 sound effects such as laughter, applause, burping, etc. (most of the sounds aren’t great – I wouldn’t recommend buying this)

Eli pushed one of the buttons that sounded like a woman screaming, kind of like a horror movie scream, and he said loudly but sincerely,

“That sounds like Mama!”

Ohhhhh the Paper Source employees were laughing so hard. I was a tiny bit mortified, but it was pretty funny. I racked my brain to think back to why he might think a woman screaming sounds like me, since I swear I’m not the yelling type. But I realized that when the boys are driving me absolutely crazy, when they’re both crying or yelling or throwing fits and it’s 5 p.m. and I want to cover my ears, I do sometimes just let out an “Ahhhhhhhhh!”

screaming-woman1

Kind of like the sound machine scream.

Oh boy.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Yeah... I always feel a bit slighted when big fancy business people are trying to schmooze Jon... perhaps that's why I expect him to schmooze me from time to time...I feel I deserve a nice breakfast in bed more than once a year.

that's a great Eli story :) Is the paper source for your scrapbooking or cardmaking? Or both?

Maureen said...

Oh my, how many many times my boys have heard me as well!! It's great to hear your human Sarah! ; )

Marci said...

Haha! So funny :-)! (especially since it happened to you and not me :-)

Rachael said...

I Love it!

Unknown said...

That is so funny! i'm sure my kids would say the same thing about me... especially when we haven't seen daddy in a while. hahahaha

DC Diva said...

Too funny! They are so observant, aren't they?

Aaron and Emily said...

Oh, that's Funny!