Monday, March 22, 2010

Gram’s Birthday Celebration

We had plans to get together with my family to celebrate Gram’s birthday on Sunday, so we started our preparations on Saturday. Eli made a card for his Great Gram, and also opted to stamp his FACE when I left him alone for five minutes with my stamps and ink.

DSC_3012 copy

Here’s his creation. Eli asked Ben if he liked his card better or his face? That gave us a good laugh because Eli was obviously proud of how he had decorated his face with stamps and purple ink.

DSC_3026 copy

Apparently Eli has a thing for decorating faces, because he took it upon himself the next day to draw on Charlie’s face with black marker. Charlie looked like he had war paint on!

DSC_3052 copy

We decided to leave it on his face until my family arrived, so they could see Eli’s creation in person.

DSC_3057 copy

Poor Charlie.

DSC_3065 copy

We washed his face soon after everyone arrived. Thank goodness for washable markers. Here’s Charlie, looking much cleaner:

DSC_3066 copy

Here’s Gram looking at Eli’s paper creation. You’ll also notice that there is a Spiderman card in the left side of the picture – Eli picked that out to give to Great Gram. When you open the card, it says, “Happy Birthday Superhero!” Eli wanted to sleep with the card last night—that is how much he loved it. I told him sleeping with it had the potential to wreck the card, so we compromised by setting it up on his bookshelf while he slept. I’m impressed Eli actually gave Gram the card (because he seemed extremely attached to it).

DSC_3067 copy

Here are 86 candles on her cake, since we always do an extra candle – one to grow on.

DSC_3086 copy

That is a LOT of candles to blow out!! It took her six puffs.

DSC_3088 copy

Charlie was in this daze after all the candles were blown out – the smoke was pretty captivating.

DSC_3116 copy

Here’s Gram opening gifts. She always ties the bows on her head for a little extra pizazz :)

DSC_3146 copy

Thank you for your kind, sweet, uplifting words in the previous blog post about my Gram. They meant so much to me. She has a PET scan tomorrow and then meets with the surgeon on Tuesday (her actual birthday) to go over the scan results and schedule a surgery date. I had mixed emotions tonight as I realized this is probably the last time we’ll all be together before her surgery, and it may be a long time before things seem somewhat back to normal, if they ever do?

I HATE cancer. I know it from a child’s perspective, since Davey had leukemia when he was 4 and I was 8. When I was a teenager, my aunt died from breast cancer. And as an adult, I’ve had some friends survive cancer and one lose the battle. It’s never easy, always full of ups and downs. It horrible to have someone you love so dearly face something so difficult. Part of me is still in total denial that this is really happening since Gram is an otherwise healthy, vibrant woman.

Enough of my frustration though. Life keeps going. We’ll keep praying for her and I hope you do too.

I gave Gram this soft pink bathrobe and my mom coordinated with getting her some pink slippers. We thought this would make her upcoming stay in the hospital more comfortable.

DSC_3150 copy

Here are some more photos from the evening:

DSC_3151 copy bwDSC_3164 copy bw

Eli was on potty accident #3 of the day, so he was wearing turtle pj bottoms with his sweater :)

DSC_3168 copy bw

Both boys with their Great Gram -

DSC_3179 copy bwDSC_3181 copy bwDSC_3183 copy bwDSC_3188 copy bw

Davey and Gram (her license plate says DVSGRAM)-

DSC_3209 copy bw

7 comments:

kelly said...

i always love your photos, but that one of charlie after you washed off the marker is just TOO much! his cheeks are scrumptious!!

Marci said...

Such cute pictures. I love Charlie's little face after being cleaned off...I just want to kiss his big cheeks :-). I love the black and whites too...and the cake picture...that's a lot of candles!

Unknown said...

Oh, so much creativity when it comes to their own skin... Larry had a run-in with a yellow highlighter all over his legs last week...

I'm kinda jealous of your piano... it looks fabulous... are You playing Popcorn popping out of the children's songbook? Do your kids obsess over that song the way my kids do???

Jenna{Mommy in Manhattan} said...

what a sweet gram you have. I am dying over Eli stamping his face all over. What a cutie. Did I tell you that we have spent hours (well Davis has) watching Eli's performance at the talent show. He loves it!

Lindy & Trever said...

What a special day. I love all of the pics. The ones with you, your mom and Gram are so sweet.

Krista said...

The candles are great! I also love the pics too with your gram and the bows in her hair.

The Millers said...

My question is how you get that many candles lit all at once. Whenever we try to do a lot of candles, the first ones lit are all melted and wax all over the cake before we get them all lit. You can tell your cute Gram has a lot of spunk. Fun pictures.