Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Teary Day

I just got off the phone with my Gram. She found out this morning that she has an advanced form of cancer, based in a tumor in her neck. This afternoon she went on with life and went to the DMV to renew her driver’s license that was about to expire. When I called, I asked her how the driving test went.

“It went well! I wore my green wig [for St. Patrick’s Day – Gram is Irish] and the guy who was going to give me my driving test was looking at me waiting in my car and kept whispering to the other employees. When he got in the car, I took off the wig and he breathed a sigh of relief. Then he had to get back out of the car to tell the guys that it was just a wig, because they were worried I wouldn’t be able to get my picture taken for the license with green hair.”

Gotta leave it to my nearly 85-year-old Gram to wear a green wig on St. Patrick’s Day :)

I asked her how she was feeling about everything else, and she responded, “It was a bad day, but everyone’s entitled to a bad day every once in a while.”

Oh Gram. I’m not envious of what you have ahead of you. The surgeon will remove the mass on her neck, the sub mandibular gland and possibly part of her jaw. Then she’ll have radiation and who knows what else.

I had a busy morning, hosting playgroup at my house that lasted later than it usually does, which was great. It was nice to have the distractions of friends around and the first part of the day passed pretty fast. Our weather today was beautiful and we spent so much time outside.

But by about 4 p.m., the heavy reality of what is to come with Gram hit me pretty hard. I got lots of sweet, concerned looks and comments from Eli. He kept coming up to me and touching my face, saying “I see a little tear” in his soft voice and wiping it away. Charlie offered lots of big kisses with lots of snuggles. Little kids are very in tune with our feelings, happy or sad.

My Gram is tough. And strong. And one of the most amazing examples to me of someone who lives life with passion, loves others and is a friend to many. She has lived near me almost my entire life, and during many of my younger years, she shared a 2-flat with my family and lived above us. Gram took me on all kinds of trips as I grew up – to Tennessee, Alaska, London, and Prague. We’ve have lots of good memories. And I’m always her personal travel agent when she wants to go visit a friend or relative, finding her good deals and booking her flights. My boys love their Great Gram and Eli has been singing her songs every day since she came over for a visit last week.

Now that I’ve had a good cry and my head feels like it’s going to explode, I am going to focus on doing what I can to help Gram stay positive and feel hopeful for the future. Especially since she turns 85 next Tuesday. We’ll make it a good birthday, despite everything she is about to face.

Love you Gram.

11 comments:

Young Family said...

I am so sorry.

Erica said...

Oh Sarah. I'm so sorry. Your Gram truly is an AMAZING woman and example of faith, friendship, and LOVE for life. I think everyone who grew up in the Gurnee I ward with your Gram holds her in high esteem. We'll be thinking and praying for her and your family!

brooke said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your Gram, Sarah. She sounds like an amazing woman. You are both in my prayers.

Marci said...

Oh, Sarah. You made me teary eyed too. Your gram is one of the most AMAZING people ever! Whenever I mention you to my mom she always asks about how your Gram is and makes a comment on how much she loved her or admired her. I hope it all goes as well as it can. I'm so sorry for you all, but I'm so glad you have been able to be so close to her all your life.

Kell's Belles said...

I am so sorry, Sarah. I can tell that your Gram has a lot to do with the amazing woman you are today. I'm thinking of you both.

DC Diva said...

I'm so sorry Sarah. What an amazing woman! You're lucky to have each other. I'll keep you all in my prayers.

Lindy & Trever said...

My heart goes out to you Sarah. Your Gram seems like an amazing woman. I hope can enjoy each moment with her. I will keep you in my prayers.

kell-bell said...

So sorry to hear about your Gram. Cancer just stinks but it sounds like your Grandma's got a positive attitude which goes a long way in the fight! I'll keep her in my prayers!

Valerie said...

Oh man, I totally cried when I read the first paragraph. I love your grandma and I have such fond memories for her kindness and sense of humor (especially at girls camp!). I hope everything goes well and I'll be praying for her.

Kelley said...

Hi Sweet Sarah. I'm so sorry to hear about your wonderful gram♥ I just adore Miss Alice. She is my inspiration of how "to be" as we journey through this life. I always admired her energy and attitude. You just love life when she's around! I will keep her in my prayers. As I read your post, I thought to myself, 'she hasn't changed' She is so courageous. X0

Unknown said...

Gram is really amazing. I think only met her twice, but she's so outgoing and personable and makes everyone feel loved and comfortable around her. I love her positive attitude and her "Go get'em" motivation. I hope I can be like her when I'm 85. I can imagine that she'll keep her chin up as she goes through all this, just because that's who she is. Love you, Sarah.