Monday, August 09, 2010

Charlie the Tantrum-Throwing Headbanger

There are some days that are great, other days that are not (and lots of days that are in between, up and down, very ordinary, etc.)

Today was NOT a good day.

To say I felt frazzled would be an understatement. Today was a day when I wished I could push pause, speed up and skip to bedtime so I wouldn't have to listen to Charlie's screaming and crying any more.

Charlie was SUCH a mellow, sweet little guy from about 12 months to 18 months. Now it seems like he's flipped into the early stages of terrible twos... throwing crazy, long tantrums like I mentioned in recent posts. He's still sweet, super snuggly, and a loving little boy. But when something happens that he doesn't agree with (and often makes no sense), he flips out and it takes a long time for him to get over it.

This morning Charlie woke up in a somewhat decent mood. I helped him get dressed, and then we headed downstairs to eat breakfast. The minute I strapped him into the booster seat and tried giving him the usual bowl of honey nut cheerios, he went berserk. Pushing the bowl away (I finally moved it because I knew he would push it off the tray) and squirming, trying to get out of the seat. He wanted nothing to do with any of the other foods that I offered him. Here is an example of his screaming (the video is pretty sad):

Charlie Screaming Part 1 (Aug 2010) from Sarah on Vimeo.

After I shot that video (the camera was on the kitchen counter, so I grabbed it initially out of desperation - at least by getting a video, I could show Ben later and he could understand the magnitude of Charlie's fit), I took him out of the seat to see if that would improve his mood.

Nope. Still screaming, now also throwing himself on the floor and banging his head.
And finally, I went into the dining room because I couldn't take it anymore and he followed me, still crying and banging his head on the floor:

Charlie Screaming Part 3 (Aug 2010) from Sarah on Vimeo.

And in case you're wondering whether there was a mark left from Charlie's constant forehead banging on our hardwood floor...












































(At least he smiled a little bit today!)


The fun continued this afternoon, when Charlie screamed in his crib for 30 minutes. I ran up to check on him, and he of course had a stinky diaper and had thrown his blankie out of the crib. I changed his diaper, put him back in the crib with the beloved blankie and he screamed for 15 more minutes. I breathed a HUGE sigh of relief when he was finally quiet (I know he had to be tired after his screaming this morning), but an hour later, Eli was running loudly through the house and totally woke Charlie up, who was sad and sensitive for the rest of the afternoon/evening. It has to be his teeth coming in, right?? Please? Tell me the drama will end soon. I can't take more forehead banging. I felt so depleted by the end of the day.

Ohhhh Charlie boy. Tomorrow has to be a better day!

7 comments:

Marci said...

I hope today is going better so far! I can't believe he gave himself that big bruise...silly little guy! (and I totally thought he was Eli in the first eating picture when he has the orange shirt on). It seems like it must be something like teeth bugging his head. Preston is a fit thrower already...I'm hoping it won't get worse as he gets older :-).

DC Diva said...

Oh those days are so rough! I can't believe he bangs enough to leave a mark! Hang in there Sarah. I pray today is going better for you.

Kell's Belles said...

Ooh, I'm so sorry! Tantrums like that are just awful. That kind of reminded me of some of the crying jags my girls would have when they had their terrible ear infections. It really does seem like he's in pain . . . I hope he's feeling better today (or that you have some baby motrin on hand if he's not!). Poor baby (and poor Mama)!

Lindsay said...

Poor Charlie...sorry he was so sad. but you just have to get these kind of moments on video. To this day one of my favorite videos of Katelyn is her throwing a tantrum over something silly around this same age. Sadly there is something humorous about it. :)

Unknown said...

Moms put up with so much during the day! I still maintain the "Full-Time Mom" is the hardest job ever!

So, Naomi was totally fussy just now sitting on my lap, but when I started that movie of Charlie, she calmed down and just watched!--and she doesn't do that to any movie... just those ones :) Thanks for helping out, Charlie! :)

Young Family said...

I totally understand your pain!

The Yosts said...

I hate days like those. Sorry. Olivia does the head banging thing on the floor too. Hopefully things get better.