Saturday, August 07, 2010

Jet Skiing in Chicago

Last weekend, we hired our favorite babysitter one last time before she heads off to college in a few weeks. We had purchased a Groupon last month that gave us 30 minutes for $40, which was a deal considering the usual rate is 30 minutes for $75. One hour costs $125!! It’s so ridiculous but what can you do?? It’s the only place in the city where you can rent jet skiis and I had never been on one before, so Ben was excited for me to have the experience.

When we arrived at Montrose Beach, there were tons of volleyball nets set up across the beach. We weren’t sure if these were all pickup games or if it was an organized competition, but it seemed to be 2 on 2, and many pairs had matching uniforms.

DSC04996

Here’s the kid at the jet ski rental place who was the most helpless employee I have ever interacted with. The owner of the company was out bringing the jet skiis in from the harbor (we got there right when they opened – this place doesn’t take reservations, and when I had called in advance, the guy said Saturdays were often really busy). This kid had zero facial expressions, good or bad, just indifferent. It was pretty funny. (I’m not showing his face because I don’t want to be totally mean). I’m really just showing this picture so you can know what to look for if you ever rent jet skiis here.

DSC04998

So you can’t tell from this picture below, but the waves that morning were HUGE and choppy. Especially as we went away from the shore. Ben and I shared a jet ski, and I was in front driving with Ben sitting behind me. We don’t have any pictures of us on the jet ski since I left our camera and stuff back at the rental booth. I was a little timid at first because it was so choppy, but Ben kept encouraging me to go faster… I think the fastest we went out there was 35 mph, and when we went that fast, we would go over a wave, catch some air and then come crashing down with a huge spray of Lake Michigan water flying in my face.

Keep in mind that there were was a big storm the night before, and I was trying not to worry about the potential of e.coli or who knows what else in the water that morning (a few beaches on the south side were closed that day due to e.coli levels). Gross……. (for those of you who aren’t local, our sewage is treated and put into Lake Michigan, far from the shore. But there is a channel of (sewage) water that sometimes has to be opened up when it rains a huge amount so that it doesn’t overflow and flood, so on those days, beaches are usually closed due to high bacteria levels. Thankfully the channel of water near here didn’t have to be opened up the night before or that morning).

Don’t get me wrong though – we love Lake Michigan and usually don’t worry about the bacteria. I’m glad it’s tested every day at each beach.

One nice thing that morning was that there was only one big boat nearby in the water and two other jet skiis going, so it didn’t feel too crowded. I had fun getting used to the jet ski, though by the end my legs and hands were so tired from gripping the jet ski so I would stay on with all of those big waves.

I know I sound like such a wimp – that’s because I am!! :) We had a lot of fun though and were glad we could get the groupon deal.

It was a little hazy that morning – here’s my bad shot of the city’s skyline (taken w/ my old point and shoot – I didn’t want to lug my bigger camera out there).

DSC04999

After our 30 minutes (which was plenty of time for me), we headed over to M Henry for a late breakfast. It was delicious!! (I asked friends on facebook for suggestions a few days before that day – this was one that two people recommended, and I give it two thumbs up too.

DSC05000

It was so nice to go out on a Saturday morning and do something fun and different, just the two of us (I’m sad we didn’t get a picture taken at some point, but oh well).

Grace, we’re going to miss you! (picture taken the next day after church)

Grace%20Brown-1

No comments: