Thursday, November 29, 2007

Eli Sitting Up, Teething, Laughing... And the Dilemma of Joining a Gym...

This week Eli started sitting on his own without support! And tonight he surprised me and Ben by pulling himself up to sitting from lying on a pillow on our bed - so he wasn't flat on the ground, but maybe at a 30 degree angle (this picture is not from tonight - here the pillow is propped up pretty high). He's never even attempted that before! We were very impressed. It's funny the things that make you excited when you have a baby - there are so many big and little milestones as they grow. And today I noticed Eli's second bottom tooth is coming through his gums - the first has come up pretty far and you can feel the second, but it's just barely poking out.

This afternoon I was playing with Eli and it was so cute - he was in the type of mood where anything I did made him crack up laughing. I think we were both laughing for about 10 minutes - it reminded me of college when my roommate Emily and I would just laugh and laugh and laugh...

Eli is not one to show off in public though. A lot of times when he is around an unfamiliar person, he gets this blank stare and saggy cheeks, like he has lost all expression. Earlier today I went to a gym to check it out and Eli just stared at the girl giving us the tour. *I recently had my "Eli is 6 months old and I'm still not back in shape" crisis and know I need to do something to change it. I like to think that having a c-section makes it harder, but by now it is no excuse! My biggest concern is leaving Eli in the gym's childcare while I'm exercising (the people who work there are supposed to be great, but I'm still anxious!!) - Let me know if you have any tips to make it easier!

Here is an example of the blank stare:

I do think it will be good for Eli to get used to being with other people, since he is just with me in the majority of the day. He gets excited when Ben comes home from work, which I think is so cute. There is something so special about having a connection with a baby... tonight Ben was feeding Eli his baby oatmeal and squash, and Eli kept looking over at me and laughing - for no real reason, just because he was in a happy mood. I love it!

Here is a picture with my chubby baby from two Sundays ago:

7 comments:

Sarah Beck said...

Eli is so cute and chubby, I just want to tickle his cheeks! And Sarah you look just as cute as ever IMO, but I know how you feel about the whole getting back into shape thing after a baby. It's tough!

Sarah S said...

You are sweet Sarah! And I didn't include the bit about my crisis to get compliments - I just think my stomach muscles went to pot after having a baby and I want them back! (or something like the way they used to be... since I know I'll prob. never be the same)

Jodie, Stefan and Natalia said...

Eli is as adorable as ever. I love looking at your blog from time to time. And... you do look great. I hope I look like that 6 months after having our little one.

The Yosts said...

Yeah for joining a gym. My advice - wash your hands and his right after. So many germs in the childcenter at gyms. Yuckers!

Sarah S said...

good idea stephanie!! I will definitely do that.

Shontz Family said...

i think you look great! and congrats on the sitting up! it's so fun to just plop them on the ground with toys all around them...and it makes taking pics of them a lot easier too!

Kerstin said...

Sarah- I blame it on the c-section (or maybe because it just makes me feel better). Sometimes I just think it takes time to come off- even though it seems like everyone else fits into their jeans after one week. I finally got back to my prepregancy weight and Charlotte turns one this week. Oh well.