Monday, January 28, 2008

Thoughts on President Hinckley

I've been thinking all day about the passing of President Gordon B. Hinckley (at the age of 97), who was prophet of our church (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints). I lost track of the number of blogs that I read today that mentioned him - it was neat to see how many blogs that I read/follow are written by other LDS girls. I really liked the NYTimes article today talking about his life, and I also thought my friend Wendy's blog post on President Hinckley's gave an interesting perspective (she's a Fox producer in Washington DC). BYU made a cool slideshow with some great pictures of him throughout the years participating in various school events.

But I guess I just want to say is that I'll miss President Hinckley. When I was in college, he spoke each year at a BYU Devotional, and I loved standing and watching him walk into the Marriott Center and wave to the crowd. I'm thankful for his service and heartfelt devotion to what we believe and will miss hearing him speak at the next General Conference.

*If you're not LDS and curious about what happens next, there is information here about the appointment of our new church president.

No comments: