Sunday, October 18, 2009

Biting/Brotherly Love, Davey’s Visit, Toy Story Shirt, Pumpkin Treats, and Fish-Sitting

Maybe, just maybe someday my boys can be within a few feet of each other and get along… for now, pretty much the only time is if a show is on. However, even then, Eli is often pushing Charlie away. I don’t know what has come over Eli, but for the last week, he has treated Charlie so poorly. He even bit Charlie’s finger (HARD) over the weekend for no apparent reason. Eli isn’t usually a biter, so I don’t know what is going on. Come on Eli, it’s supposed to be the other way! (referring to the famous Charlie Bit Me video) Just kidding.

DSC_7486DSC_7489

It’s funny, these pictures make them look so sweet together! I hope Charlie continues to adore Eli, despite the torture he receives on a daily basis. On a side note, Charlie took a step today without any help! He’s still a little ways from walking, but it was fun to see him try it. He is the most active little baby – always on the move, pulling himself up onto anything he can find.

DSC_7490

My brother Davey stayed with us this weekend. He lives in a group home for adults with disabilities about 25 minutes from our house, and usually goes home to my parents’ house on the weekends, but he occasionally comes to our place instead. It’s harder now with two kids because this means Charlie and Davey were sharing a room (our house has three bedrooms). Charlie is exactly the way Eli was at this age (in terms of sleep) – he doesn’t fare very well having another person in the room when he’s sleeping. I’m already nervous about how Christmas vacation will go when we’re out in California and the four of us will most likely all be sharing a room. I’ll have to tack on some extra sleep before we go, since we probably won’t get much while we’re there :)

DSC_7530_au

Davey brought a gift from Aunt Babz that she had mailed to my parents’ house – Toy Story t-shirts for Eli and Charlie! Here’s Eli trying it on. He loved it! Thank you Babz!!

DSC_7503

Caroline’s birthday is technically tomorrow, but her birthday party was on Saturday. She had it at the place where she takes gymnastics, and we came for the end, where all of the girls were in the party room enjoying a Hannah Montana cake with ice cream and snacks. Eli had a blast dancing to Hannah Montana with the big kids. Later he told us, “I can’t dance very well, not like the big kids.” I disagree! He is such a cute dancer. Happy Birthday Caroline!

DSC_7545

And this picture back tracks a few days to when we made pumpkin chocolate cookies for a church get together. Oh. my. goodness. These were DELISH. You can’t beat pumpkin chocolate chip cookies sprinkled with powdered sugar on top….

DSC_7195

We also made pumpkin pancakes over the weekend, and those were so yummy too. Both recipes were from the Joy the Baker blog. Mmmmmmmmm. Definitely check it out if you like pumpkin treats, because she had a good variety of tasty stuff.

DSC_7203

And finally, a huge highlight of Eli’s weekend was that we were pet-sitting our neighbors’ beta fish. The fish are named “M2” and “Flicker” and at first Eli was calling the blue fish “Eli” and the red fish “Big Charlie.” But after a day of that, he switched to calling them their real names.

DSC_7283

One of the neighbor kids, Oliver, was very concerned that the beta fish might jump into each other’s bowl, so we had to be sure and keep the bowls separated. Eli would go back and forth, watching the fish.

DSC_7333

He even showed the fish to his Backyardigans guy, Tyrone.

DSC_7334

You would think the excitement would wear off after a couple of days, but not so! Feeding the fish was the highlight of Eli’s day – two pellets each at breakfast and dinner. It was really cute hearing Eli squeal as the fish gobbled them up.

DSC_7375

I had to constantly remind Eli to not climb up on the table, but to instead watch from a chair. He could hardly contain himself.

DSC_7416

Eli watching M2:

DSC_7417DSC_7425

At one point I was in the office area and could hear Eli sitting near the fish, talking to them. Then I realized he was saying a prayer! It was very sweet.

DSC_7431

I think we may have to get Eli his own fish. They’re back at Sasha and Oliver’s house and I’m sure Eli will be missing M2 and Flicker tomorrow…

7 comments:

Beckie said...

very cute pictures!
i love your boys.

Now, I know where oscar can stay and be taken care of if we ever go anywhere!

Love the pictures of the fryers too!
great job!

Marci said...

Addie's been going through a violent stage as well, although she takes it out on random kids at the park and library instead of Preston. Sometimes I wish it was the other way around though...it's so embarrassing to have her hit strangers! Especially when they are little babies like Preston.
Love the picture of Davey and Eli's love for the fish!
I'll be checking out the pumpkin recipes too...I need one for an activity this week.

Cami Severson said...

I love seeing Eli help with the cookies, in his cute little froggy apron! He is so sweet.

Beta are a good fish for little kids, my boys loved having them when they were little (they are a little more interactive, for a fish). I love how much Eli is fascinated by them! What a cutie!

KATINA KARAS STUART said...

I think I do have the most adorable grandchildren. Thanks for having Davey this weekend. It was very helpful with all we had going. You take great pictures of Eli and Charlie.

Elizabeth Severson said...

I'm taking your recipie for Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies. I'm hosting a cooking group tomorrow!

The Yosts said...

I'm hungry for pumpkin cookies now!

Abby bit Kaitlyn hard on the finger when they were younger just to see what the reaction would be. She did that with a few other things. It eventually passed.

Gwendolyn said...

Oh Davey! He looks so grown up. I bet he loved seeing you guys--can he believe he's an uncle?? (My brothers are still kind of in shock.)

Also I'm curious about Charlie's sleep--I'm still trying to do right by Sinjin and it's so hard to know what's best. Maybe we can phone chat one of these days? When Ben's home watching the boys of course!