Monday, January 18, 2010

Blitz Trip to Madison, WI

On Saturday, we drove 2 1/2 hours up to Madison, Wisconsin to visit our friends Ben and Stephanie Rogers and their three kids. Stephanie is the friend I had mentioned last week with the sister in the ICU. Steph was home for a few days before she’ll fly back to Atlanta tomorrow to be back with her sister and family that is there, so we wanted to go have fun with them and bring some cheer.

First, we met the Rogers at a deli on the east side of Madison – Ella’s Deli. It was a SIGHT to be seen. Seriously, if you have kids and you’re ever in that area, you have to go see it. This place is a kosher deli and ice cream parlor. Inside is a specacle of animated figures all through the ceiling and the restaurant. There are wires everywhere and figurines going across them. We saw Spiderman, Superman, Harry Potter, Popeye, castles, jugglers, a Beatles diorama, etc. All five children were SO well behaved because they were staring at all of the stuff going on around them. It was hilarious.

DSC_9767 copyDSC_9768 copy

Here’s their baby Jackson, who was all bundled up still. It was COLD in Madison. See Ben S. (I have to distinguish since we were with Ben R. that day), there are colder places to live than Chicago… :) (We thought Madison was beautiful though – it has pretty hills and beautiful country outside of the downtown area)

DSC_9775 copy

Ben R. offered to take a picture with me in it, since I’m usually taking the pictures. Eli wasn’t up for smiling :)

DSC_9776 copy

Here’s Ben R. and Steph. It’s always fun to talk to them because Ben R. has lots of  questions. And Stephanie has to swat him here and there because of his questions (we don’t mind them, Steph – it gives us room to ask them right back) :)

DSC_9782 copy

The genie from Aladdin and all kinds of other stuff on the ceiling -

DSC_9783 copy

You can see Eli could barely focus on eating because this place was so cool -

DSC_9787 copy

One other fabulous idea is the baby plate for those 1 and under. It had everything a kid this age likes to eat – cheese, applesauce, yogurt, turkey, mandarin oranges, and carrots and peas. There were also crackers and jam. Perfect! We need one of these for our house.

DSC_9788 copyDSC_9789 copy

The older Rogers kids, Lea and Ellis. They were warming up to me sticking my big camera in their faces :)

DSC_9793 copy

There were even toys at this place that you could bring to your table!

DSC_9798 copy

In the warmer weather, there is even a carousel outside the deli for kids to ride. It’s a pretty eclectic place, but the food wasn’t terrible and the ice cream was delish.

DSC_9799 copy

On our way to the other side of Madison where the Rogers live, we passed one of the lakes (maybe Lake Mendota?) where there were a ton of guys out on the frozen water, ice fishing. I couldn’t get my camera out fast enough to get a shot with the 50 or so ice fishing huts set up on the lake, so this is toward the tail end. But it was really neat to see all of that going on. I bought Ben an ice fishing set at a garage sale last summer, but he has yet to try it – he says he wants to go with someone who knows what he is doing… any takers?

DSC_9801 copy

In the afternoon, we hung out at the Rogers’ place. Here are some more shots of Ellis:

DSC_9807 copyDSC_9811 copy

Lea was still shy when I pulled the camera out…

DSC_9846 copyDSC_9849 copyDSC_9854 copy

And Ellis and Jackson with their cute matching sweaters -

DSC_9858 copy

We played some Wii tennis (Eli loved it):

DSC_9870 copy

I watched baby Jackson eat and eat lots of good stuff (why don’t my kids eat and eat???) -

DSC_9886 copy

I played Wii tennis with Eli, which was pretty funny since neither one of us is very good:

DSC_9887 copy

and then Eli and Ellis had fun playing tennis together.

DSC_9890 copy

The Rogers have moved around a lot since living near us so many years ago (they lived in DC and Pittsburgh before this), but it looks like they’ll be in Madison long term. They are building a house there, so Stephanie drove us over to the site, which is a really pretty area. I’m excited for them to feel settled there and it’s fun to have friends just a quick road trip away.

We drove back Saturday evening and everything went pretty smoothly, except that Eli stayed awake the entire time and watched movies. Crazy kid.

We had a great time with the Rogers – thanks for a fun day!

And on another positive note, Stephanie’s sister is doing well – the doctors switched her from an oscillator to a ventilator and woke her up. She responded well to commands and could use her limbs and muscles. They’re hoping she can breathe on her own today and hopefully get rid of the breathing tube. Yeah!!! Things are looking up.

6 comments:

Will and Natalie Giddens said...

Oh my! Sarah Severson, I will never get over connections that can be made via BYU and the Church. Connection #1: I totally know Ben Rogers. He was friends with a guy named Steve that I dated at BYU. I think they were Freshman buddies and Steve, Ben, my roommate Jessica and I all went on a double date once. I remember thinking Ben was so nice and VERY smart.
Connection #2: I didn't make this one until the end, but Stephanie's sister, Rachael, is in my ward here. We have all been so worried about her and have been praying for her. Now that I look back over the pictures, Stephanie and Rachael look a lot alike. Rachael's mentioned to me several times that her sister just moved from Pittsburgh to Madison. I can't believe how small the world is! And yes, according to the family, Rachael is doing much better. We really hope they can wake her up soon. Rachael and Rich have two of the sweetest little girls who I know are anxious to see their mommy again.

Marci said...

That deli looks awesome...and Ella thought it was pretty cool when I showed her it was her name :-)!

Krista said...

Yes, very cool little deli. If I ever go to Madison for sure we'll make a pit stop there.

DC Diva said...

Yay! I just love this post. Everyone looks great and I love seeing pics of the Rogers' kids. I cannot BELIEVE how big Ellis is. Holy cow. Did Stephanie chop her hair? So cute. How fun they are so close to you now.

I'm so glad things sound a bit better for Stephanie's sister. I've been meaning to get in touch with her. They are all in my prayers!

Amber said...

Look at all the fun things you do-and the great pics you take. you should give lessons to all us moms who want to do a better job capturing life's moments!

Melissa said...

So funny. I know Ben Rogers too. He served in my mission. He was a Spanish Elder and my companion spoke Spanish so they would have us work with some of the Spanish ladies they were teaching. I assume he would remember me but then if he hasn't made the Severson connection maybe he doesn't.