Friday, January 22, 2010

A Day in the Life… Charlie’s 1st Birthday!

I’m trying to push aside the guilt that we didn’t do anything huge for Charlie’s 1st birthday – I tried to make the day as fun as possible for him, but I also didn’t plan a huge party. Winter birthdays are hard!! I couldn’t come up with a good plan of who to invite to a party for Charlie, especially since we would be inside, in our house… most of my friends with young children also have older kids, which means even more people in a not huge space… all while trying to make it special for Charlie. It just seemed tricky. We’re having my family over on Saturday, so that will be his official party.

So I try to make myself feel better. So what if we had an enormous party for Eli’s 1st (because it was the same week as Ben’s 30th). Or that I forgot to put Charlie in his “1” t-shirt (it honestly didn’t dawn on me until I looked back at Eli’s 1-year-old birthday pictures tonight). Where is my head? Oh well. Maybe it’s because we’re in a different season than when Eli turned 1 (in May, when it was actually warm enough to wear t-shirts) – I don’t even open Charlie’s drawer with t-shirts because it is just too cold to wear them.

BUT – in the morning, our upstairs feels very warm (we set it to 68 during the day, and heat rises so the upstairs is more like 70 degrees). Warm enough for Charlie to walk around in a diaper until I get the energy to wrestle him into some clothes for the day…

This video is right after Eli woke up this morning – it gives you an idea of what my mornings have been like lately, when Eli is whiny and makes it clear he doesn’t want to see me, he wants Dada. I like seeing Charlie toddle around in this too.

Charlie has really thinned out lately, though I’m glad he still has some pudge to his cute little bod.

DSC_0025 copy

Notice he’s wearing a diaper that is too big for him. That’s the problem with having two kids in different sized diapers – it’s easy to grab the wrong one, and sometimes I get lazy and just leave the wrong size on the child. It’s not as big of a deal when it’s a size bigger…

DSC_0028 copyDSC_0038 copy

Eli cheered up a tiny bit when he realized it was Charlie’s birthday. He walked around his crib singing to him, which was sweet.

DSC_0044 copy

Then it was breakfast time – this week I started giving Charlie a bowl of Cheerios with milk and a spoon, and he loves it!

DSC_0059 copy

Eli helped me make a birthday card for Charlie. He told me to write -

Happy Birthday to Charlie

We love...

-baby hats

-I like him to crawl

-I like to share cars

-I don't like to share stamps

-I like when he laughs

-I like him to crawl up the stairs

Here’s a video of Eli singing Happy Birthday to Charlie at breakfast:

Later, playing with cars -

DSC_0067 copy

Here he is, drinking a little bit of whole milk. He drank a little, which gives me hope. There was no tongue-wiping afterwards (like he did with the formula).

DSC_0091 copyDSC_0119 copy

Eli likes to line his stamps up, then knock them all down with a ball. I like when he comes up with little games to play.

DSC_0135 copy

Snack time for Charlie often means a banana – he and Eli both will eat an entire banana each in about five seconds.

DSC_0162 copy

I love his chubby feet!

DSC_0165 copyDSC_0171 copyDSC_0172 copyDSC_0176 copyDSC_0181 copy

After dinner, it was time for his cupcake! We sang to Charlie and he had no concept of blowing out the candle, so I eventually blew it out for him.

DSC_0209 copy

He was tentative at first…

DSC_0216 copy

But as soon as he had a taste, he started shoving pieces of cake into his mouth…

DSC_0219 copy

Here’s a video of us singing to Charlie, his expression that he’s not sure what to think about the lit birthday candle, then him eating the cupcake – it is long (nearly five minutes) and I really only expect the grandparents to watch it, though it is funny to see his expressions :) Please don’t think I’m nuts for how many pictures I took in that five minutes either!

Eli picked out a chocolate cupcake at the bakery, which he chowed down on while Charlie was digging into his vanilla cupcake.

DSC_0224 copyDSC_0227 copyDSC_0229 copyDSC_0236 copyDSC_0240 copyDSC_0243 copyDSC_0264 copyDSC_0268 copyDSC_0271 copy

Eli’s two, in case you need a reminder -

DSC_0278 copy

Chubby hands mixed with cupcake crumbs, frosting, and sprinkles – great combo :)

DSC_0289 copy

Cupcake crumbs almost up the nose are even better!

DSC_0294 copy

We opened gifts shipped to Charlie from some relatives – this is a bunny from Ben’s Severson grandparents (his grandma also knit him a Christmas stocking – it’s so cute!):

DSC_0312 copy

And my wonderful Aunt Babz sent Charlie his very own froggy snuggly!! He was so excited and snuggled with it right away. Eli got jealous and wanted one just like it, even though his froggy was sitting on the table.

DSC_0314 copy

I’m too tired to move pictures around, but below are some shots from the middle of the day, when we went out to run some errands – we stopped at the library branch near our house…

DSC04347 copy

We stopped in the paper store to visit Eli’s favorite furry friends, the panda bears and polar bears…

DSC04348 copy

Charlie all bundled up, sitting in the stroller:

DSC04349 copy

It was a rainy, cold day, but the boys were pretty happy. We picked up our cupcakes at the bakery down the street, got free bread samples from Great Harvest… what more could you ask for? I think Charlie loved it :)

DSC04353 copy

Finally, things I want to remember about Charlie at age 1:

  • He walks really fast for such a little guy!
  • He crawls up the stairs pretty well, but going down isn’t always easy for him
  • He loves the books, Ten Little Ladybugs and Peek a Who
  • He is very curious about the kitchen cupboards and is constantly walking in there, opening them up, and pulling stuff out. Yesterday he pulled out the mini food processor and cut his finger on the blade. We’re also in a very accident-prone stage… (don’t worry, I moved the food processor up high)
  • He loves bananas, grapes, clementines, grapefruit, crackers, bread, turkey, cheerios, and yogurt.
  • He is very snuggly and often walks over and jumps into my arms
  • He has the tastiest cheeks. I kiss him constantly.
  • He loves to follow Eli around and get into whatever Eli is working on
  • He is the squirmiest kid when we’re trying to change his diaper/dress him – it is an exhausting process
  • He loves to chew on phones and remote controls
  • He loves dogs and squeals and laughs when they come close to him
  • He loves soft textures, especially blankets. When he touches one, he often sticks his thumb in his mouth
  • His favorite toys are balls - he loves to throw them, run and pick them up, then throw them again
  • He loves looking out our front window or front door
  • He wakes up at the crack of dawn and still doesn’t have a great nap schedule during the day, despite my best efforts. He often wakes up early because he pooped in his diaper.

Happy 1st Birthday Charlie! We love you so much and can’t believe you are so big already. I kept squeezing and kissing him all day, trying to soak in my newly 1-year-old little guy. Charlie is my little buddy and I appreciate his sweetness so much, especially when his big brother is being especially difficult (like between the hours of 8 and 8:30 a.m. and then 4 and 6 p.m…. I really think Eli would be such a happier kid if he napped. Thank goodness for the happy, sweet, fun moments that help me endure when he's throwing fits, crying, basically being an extremely emotional 2-year-old)

I’ll end this with a quick video (nine seconds) of Charlie walking:

12 comments:

Unknown said...

NICE! Charlie lookslike me eating my birthday cake, he pounded it!!

Rachel said...

So many great pictures of your darling Charlie. Happy Birthday to him!

Becca S. said...

Happy Birthday Charlie! Henry had fun looking at all the pictures of Charlie and Eli. He also loved watching Charlie eat the cupcake, he kept trying to touch Charlie. He and Eli have both gotten so big since Christmas!

Elizabeth Severson said...

We wish you a happy birthday Charlie!!!!!!!!!!!
We were lucky to finaly hold you, kiss you and see your cute personality.
The pictures are lovely.

Krista said...

I love the cupcake idea. A perfect size for him to completely attack. Kai made me watch multiple movies, multiple times of Eli and Charlie this morning. so funny. He like to watch charlie walking really fast and the birthday song sung by Eli. Happy B-day Charlie!

Hillary said...

I loved hearing Eli singing to Charlie. That was so cute! I can't believe that Charlie is 1 already and looking so old as he toddles around. He looks like such a sweet little boy. And a lot of those things he likes to do is similar to Cameron right now too. Thanks for all the pics!

The Knisley's said...

So adorable!! I can't believe he's now 1! I remember when you announced you were pregnant with him....my how time flies! He is so precious and I hope I can meet him soon, too!

Kell's Belles said...

Happy birthday to Charlie! Although, judging by those cupcake pictures, he totally had the best birthday ever! So cute!

Don't feel bad about low-key birthday celebrations. You did all the important stuff! Besides, nothing compares to the pathetic party I did for Sadie when she turned two (just days before I had Tessa). I made some cupcakes and that was IT. I'm all about saving up our energy for birthday parties they will actually REMEMBER!

Aaron and Emily said...

It feels the the big 1st birthday parties are just for the first kids! Maybe the excitement of finally celebrating your own child's birthday. We had a big old party for Adele's first. Samuel's first was just us eating cake at home (in White City, so we didn't really know anyone either - I think I brought cupcakes to Aaron's work for his co workers).

Beckie said...

Happy birthday sweet charlie!
I loved his chubby hands with the frosting picture!

Valerie said...

So many cute pictures!!! And I agree about winter birthdays being hard but it looks like you guys made the most of your day.

Gwendolyn said...

Happy Birthday Charlie! It looks like his day was everything a 1-year-old could want, Sarah--you should feel proud for being such a great mom :)

I love all the little details you record about your boys, especially the month-by-month updates on the sidebar. I wish I'd done that (I guess I still could...)!