Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Sunset Beach

On the Tuesday that we were in California, we went to Sunset Beach near Santa Cruz. It wasn’t a hot day by any means, but the temps reached the 60s that day and it was perfect. Eli and I had wet pants after the first five minutes, but Eli didn’t mind too much. We rolled up his pant legs and he was ready for more fun.

DSC_7939 copy

Eli called this his “dog pool.” There were no dogs around, but I think he thought it was just deep enough for a dog to enjoy it.

DSC_7940 copyDSC_7943 copyDSC_7945 copy

We weren’t the only ones to get wet. Lots of the cousins and adults waded at the edge of the ocean. There signs at the entrance advising against swimming that day because of the rip tide.

DSC_7951 copy

Charlie wasn’t sure about the squishy sand at first, but he got used to it after a while.

DSC_7954 copy

I love seeing their little toes in the sand.

DSC_7955 copy

Charlie’s feet:

DSC_7956 copy

Eli’s feet:

DSC_7959 copy

Looking back at these pictures makes me feel relaxed.

DSC_7963 copy

Eli liked it when we drew his name and age in the sand:

DSC_7967 copy

A woman walking by saw me taking me pictures of the boys and asked if we’d like one together. Of course! Ben and I were wearing borrowed sunglasses from my sister-in-law Emily’s parents’ glove compartment. Thank you, Yu’s! They loaned us their car while we were there, which was SO generous and nice (they were out of town visiting family in another state):

DSC_7968 copyDSC_7973 copyDSC_7980 copyDSC_7982 copy

The kids had fun constructing waterways, mountains, and other structures with the sand. It was cute seeing them work together on their creations.

DSC_8000 copyDSC_8005 copyDSC_8018 copy

Charlie was content with a tupperware container and sand sifter:

DSC_8031 copy

He makes me smile. I love seeing his teeth peeking out from his happy expression.

DSC_8044 copyDSC_8049 copy

Ben’s parents were smart. They brought firewood and made a bonfire, which was a great way to warm up as the sun hid behind the clouds and it felt cooler.

DSC_8055 copy

Eli started to get cold, so we wrapped him up in a towel:

DSC_8067 copy

My sister-in-law Elizabeth with Sofia:

DSC_8079 copy

DSC_8099 copy

My oldest niece Amanda, with her new surfboard. She hails from San Diego and I have no doubt that she’ll be an awesome surfer in no time.

DSC_8110 copy

My sister-in-law Emily with kids Adele and Samuel:

DSC_8114 copy

I’m not going to keep writing sister-in-law, because they’re all in-laws to me… :) Here’s Cami with her youngest, Kaelan, otherwise known as KK, which is Eli’s age (he was freezing – we got him covered up soon after this picture was taken):

DSC_8148 copy

Ben with Eli, who loves his dad so much (notice Eli is much more covered up by this point):

DSC_8155 copy

Yes, Ben has a lot of gray hair. I like it.

DSC_8160 copy

Me and Eli as the sun is setting:

DSC_8180 copy

This kid had so much fun at the beach.

DSC_8210 copyDSC_8211 copyDSC_8224 copyDSC_8238 copyDSC_8249 copy

The next sequence of pictures is Eli and his cousin Larry. They are really, really funny together. They don’t say much to each other, but the facial expressions were priceless:

DSC_8277 copyDSC_8282 copyDSC_8315 copyDSC_8360 copy

Ben’s brother Matt walking out of the water, with Amanda and Jon still in the water w/ surfboards:

DSC_8377 copy

More of happy Eli:

DSC_8404 copyDSC_8405 copy

I loved the changing colors of the sky as the afternoon passed by:

DSC_8415 copyDSC_8420 copyDSC_8430 copyDSC_8443 copy

I couldn’t resist taking a picture of this wood – I liked its texture and markings:

DSC_8421 copy

Back at the bonfire – roasting hot dogs, s’mores, drinking hot chocolate…

DSC_8446 copyDSC_8447 copy

Ben’s parents, Cheryl and Larry:

DSC_8450 copy

Abbie, Levi, Nathan, Danielle and Larry:

DSC_8455 copy

New Grandma and Eli:

DSC_8468 copy

And it wouldn’t be a Severson get together without a little competition… here are some of the guys throwing marshmallows high in the air and trying to catch them in their mouths. In this first picture, you can see Matt’s marshmallow up in the air (in the right corner of the pic):

DSC_8487 copy

Here’s Ben in between the twins, Joe and Matt (Ben is often referred to as the third twin or triplet – they all look very similar – he is a few years younger):

DSC_8485 copy

Matt caught the marshmallow:

DSC_8488 copy

Here’s my handsome husband:

DSC_8491 copy

And Joe about to catch the marshmallow in his mouth:

DSC_8509 copy

4 comments:

Brittany said...

what a fun post! Eli seems so happy in those pictures, you'd think he'd never been to the beach before! and i laughed looking at Eli and Larry- so cute!

is that Amanda holding Charlie in some of the later pictures? She's so grown-up!

Krista said...

Sarah! How am I supposed to remember everything from this post?! :) So, charlie's face when he's getting adjusted to the sand. priceless. That one is a fave right now. I also felt super relaxed reading this post. It looked like a fun afternoon/evening. I love the beach. Maybe that is what inspires the calm atmosphere in me. Beautiful pics. I like the driftwood and also Eli's cute smiles with his cousin. Okay, what did I forget? Maybe you should allow your comments to pop open on your blog post so I can scroll and remember...my poor brain!

The Knisley's said...

Wow! Good ol' Fremont! It looks like you guys had a lot of fun!! Love the pictures!!

Laura said...

So fun! I love the pictures of Larry and Eli together.