Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Eli’s 1st Dentist Appointment

I wasn’t sure what to expect with Eli’s first visit to the dentist, but it went so well! Surprisingly well. I tried not to talk too much about the appointment ahead of time because I didn’t want him to get nervous, but I did mention it casually a few times last week and then we talked a little bit about it during lunch today. A friend suggested focusing on the cool things about the dentist – the moving chair, the neat tools that they use… and I think that totally worked. When we walked into the room, Eli climbed right up onto the chair, kicked back and gave me this big smile. I think it helped that he had seen me at this dentist office a few times before. I debated taking him to one of the great pediatric dentists near us, but we don’t have dental insurance and having him go to my dentist was cheaper. Plus, I knew that having a t.v. in the room would be a good distraction for him.

DSC_6302 copy

He was wearing his Lightning McQueen crocs and holding a mini Lightning car in his hand for good luck :) The hygienist was wonderful with Eli. She popped in Finding Nemo (skipping past the scary parts in the beginning) and gave him sunglasses so her big light wouldn’t shine right in his eyes. She counted all 20 of his teeth, scraped a little plaque in a really gentle way, brushed and flossed and ended with a fluoride treatment. He got to pick out a Mater toothbrush at the end, which was also a highlight since we seemed to be on a Cars theme today.

DSC_6305 copy

Eli was extra cooperative and happy to smile, open his mouth and keep it open… it almost felt too good to be true. Really. I felt very lucky since Eli has been so unpredictable lately – he is either super happy, smiley, etc. (like he always used to be) or he is sometimes so sour and moody, especially to strangers. :) I’m glad he was so happy at the appointment.

DSC_6306 copyDSC_6308 copy

I do think it helped that he could zone in on Nemo though. Here he is waiting for the dentist to come in and check his teeth. He had no cavities and his teeth looked good!

DSC_6310 copy

Charlie spent the appointment sitting in the stroller, eating snacks. He did a good job too, which was a relief since I had to wake him up from his nap to get to the appointment on time. Oh the life of a second child!

DSC_6317 copy

4 comments:

Marci said...

I'm so glad it went well! The same thing happened with me and Ella when we went the first time. I was SO nervous and so was she, but she ended up LOVING it...not having cavities definitely helps :-). She tells me all the time she wants to go back now. I need to make our appointments and it will be Addie's first time so I'm keeping my fingers crossed she loves it too (and that they are cavity free until their love for the dentist has been firmly established). I'm making the soup tonight :-)!

Unknown said...

my kids love the dentist. weird -they don't get that from me. i think having a good first experience is crucial.

wait until you have the your third child... poor sydney is a whiz at sleeping on the go.

Krista said...

he looks so happy showing off his pearly whites.

kelly said...

yay! good for him! that first picture of his little body in that big chair is just too cute!