Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Primavera Potato Salad

Today was a wonderful, 80-degree day and I was in a summer salad kind of mood – and I wanted to eat outside for dinner tonight. Anyway, one of my favorite cooking magazines is the Cooking Club of America magazine. I tried this potato salad from the April/May 2010 issue and added my own special ingredient (BACON!), which made it extra tasty. Also, I left out radishes since I’m not a big fan of those. Anyway, here’s the recipe:

Primavera Potato Salad 232
(Image from Cooking Club site) 

Salad:

1 1/2 lb. small new potatoes, unpeeled
5 oz green beans, sliced (1 inch) – about 1 Cup
1/2 C. diagonally thinly sliced carrots
2 C. lightly packed baby spinach
1/2 C. thinly sliced radishes
1/2 C. diagonally thinly sliced green onions
5 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled

Vinaigrette:

1/3 C. extra-virgin olive oil
3 Tbs. red wine vinegar
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme (I used a sprinkle of dried thyme)
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/8 tsp. pepper

1. Cook potatoes in large pot of boiling salted water 10 minutes. Add green beans and carrots; cook 5 minutes or until potatoes are tender when pierced with fork. Drain; cool, under cold running water.

2. Whisk all vinaigrette ingredients in small bowl until well blended.

3. When potatoes are cool enough to handle, quarter larger ones or halve small ones. Place in large bowl, along with beans, carrots, spinach, radishes and green onions. Toss with enough vinaigrette to lightly coat. Serve at room temperature.

Makes about 10 three-quarter cup servings (we ate this as the main dish and it probably serves 4 with a bowl-size serving).

2 comments:

Aaron and Emily said...

80 degrees? I thought you just had snow recently.

Laura said...

I love anything with potatoes. I'll have to give it a try.