Thursday, April 15, 2010

I’ve Never Gone in Lake Michigan in April…

…until today. And I’ve lived nearly my entire life by this lake. That shows you how rare our crazy (wonderful) Spring has been.

Today it was another 80-degree day. After preschool, I was debating what to do the entire ride home. Should we go get some lunch? Should we run errands? Should we play at the park? Should we go home? I consulted the Boy with Opinions (Eli) and he did NOT want to go to lunch (the kids always eat at the end of preschool). He wanted to go to the beach. I figured he was right, we should take advantage of this beautiful day while it lasted.

So we went to the beach that has a park too. I called my friend Krista, who had mentioned in an email that she was thinking about going sometime today, said we were going now and it would be fun to meet there if it worked for them. She was dropping her dog off for an appointment but they joined us a little bit later.

Here’s Eli with his signature rosy cheeks on a warm day -

DSC_5584 copy

Kai and Sisi, the siblings who get along SO WELL. It’s pretty amazing and sweet to watch them play together.

DSC_5592 copy

Eli climbed up on this motorcycle, which isn’t a big deal for most kids his age, but for Eli, this IS a big deal. I totally credit his physical therapy in helping him gain more arm and leg strength + coordination to get up there. There is such a difference when I watch Charlie climbing now at almost 15 months, compared to how Eli was at that same age. He hardly ever climbed up on stuff. I’m hoping we can spend lots of time this summer at different parks where he’ll keep getting practice. Yeah, Eli!!

DSC_5598 copy

After lots of park time, we moved down to the beach. Usually it’s too cold to swim in Lake Michigan in JUNE. The water was ACTUALLY bearable to wade in at the shore. But there were older kids running right in (like up to their waist – which was a little crazy but they seemed fine). Eli had a tiny shock when his shorts first got wet, but he got used to it after a while.

DSC_5609 copy

Charlie was very determined to go into the water… I love how far his feet sunk into the wet sand. He wasn’t so sure about that. Look at my WHITE legs that haven’t seen the sun since September. Though I guess they did see a little sun in California at Christmas time, but that doesn’t count.

DSC_5626 copyDSC_5613 copyDSC_5620 copy

Eli insisted that we bring the crocodile sand mold, so we stopped by our house on the way to the beach to pick it up. Then he was possessive over the croc head the entire time. Ahhh sharing is tough.

DSC_5628 copyDSC_5648 copyDSC_5654 copy

Charlie was so worn out by this point – he had a short morning nap, but was gearing up for another one, especially after playing outside for a while.

DSC_5658 copyDSC_5662 copyDSC_5667 copyDSC_5671 copy

Eli kept carrying handfuls of wet drippy sand over to the croc head mold. I’m not sure what his exact plan was, but he kept doing that, over and over again.

DSC_5675 copyDSC_5677 copyDSC_5683 copyDSC_5684 copy

Krista’s pregnant and was roasting in her black pants, but still had a smile on her face. :)

DSC_5709 copyDSC_5723 copyDSC_5713 copyDSC_5719 copyDSC_5721 copy

There’s Charlie’s classic move – pointing. Today he was pointing at the waves in the water and the occasional bird that flew by.

DSC_5729 copy

Turning Sisi into a mermaid -

DSC_5741 copyDSC_5747 copyDSC_5753 copy

I had crazy hair today, partly because I just let it air dry (instead of blowing it dry), but also because the wind was pretty fierce. I was glad I didn’t bother with the hair dryer though because it wouldn’t have made a difference.

DSC_5767 copy

Here’s Charlie as we’re starting up the staircase from the beach to get up to the parking lot. It must look so long from a 1-year-old’s perspective.

DSC_5781 copyDSC_5791 copy

Hooray for an impromptu beach day!! Chicago will be back to 50s and 60s for the next little while, so this was a treat. It was fun to bust out the shorts and get all sandy!

6 comments:

Krista said...

again...mental note...never wear black pants or maternity hose to the beach when it's over 80 degrees :)
What a fun day and the kids played great. Sisi and kai fell asleep exhausted afterwards. I also love the pic of charlie's perspective of the stairs. I think I may have stayed at the beach all day if I was that tiny and had to go up those stairs. p.s. sorry "bear" dog only went for Eli out of all the kids. Is he a dog magnet?

Marci said...

I love the picture of Charlie at the bottom of the stairs. Your weather really has been crazy! You guys were warmer than us yesterday :-)!

Unknown said...

my favorite part of spring/summer? how well they sleep after playing so hard. Yeah for sunshine!!

tatum said...

ditto! hurrah for an impromptu beach day, loved the pics. i would go, except it's raining! boo.

Gwendolyn said...

I would say I'm jealous (it's been windy and rainy lately) but you guys soooo deserve a warm day at the beach!

The Millers said...

Beautiful pictures, Sarah. Our spring has been very WINDY! I'm glad you are having nice weather. And I think I already told you this, but Krista looks so familiar. I think maybe Jerusalem? Or just BYU I guess. Anyway, looks like lots of fun.

Have I mentioned that we are hoping to drive to New York next May for my brothers Law School graduation, and are hoping to spend a night or two at the Severson pad? What do you think?