Saturday, November 07, 2009

My Ode to Davey, who is now a Quarter of a Century

I think we’ve come along way since 1993 when we were all wearing these huge, round glasses… :) (I didn’t have many pictures to choose from my younger years – most of them are at my parents’ house still – this is a doosie of me! I like that Davey is wearing a Bulls t-shirt – that was a good year…the three-peat win)

At the farm Summer 1993 copy

Sometimes it feels like my brother has been walking uphill all his life. From a brain trauma as a baby that caused epilepsy and other problems, to leukemia at age 4, to life-long struggles with learning disabilities, Tourette syndrome, Hepatitis C from blood transfusions in the 80s, brain surgery to fix the epilepsy… his life has not been an easy one.

Davey visit 2005

But you would never guess all of that if you met Davey for the first time today. He is very social, likes to meet new people, has a funny sense of humor, and kids especially like him. Sometimes he tics or asks a random question, but he’s very observant – he notices your perfume, whether you’ve had a hair cut recently, or if you’re wearing new shoes.

Davey works part time at Dick’s Sporting Goods, goes out with the LDS Singles in his area, and participates in special recreation activities. He leaves his group home each weekend and stays with my parents and occasionally with Gram or us.

Here’s a picture from one weekend a few years ago when we convinced him it would be fun to go fly kites on the beach, though it was March and freezing (notice the ice on the lake).

Davey visit

He doesn’t mind looking a little silly on occasion…

May 2005

He has a large collection of t-shirts (May 2005)

Family May 2005

He likes spotting his name on signs or billboards:

cincinnati 2005

He looks good in bright colors - (Davey’s 21st Birthday):

Davey Birthday 2005

And when he’s cold, he’s not afraid to borrow a shirt that’s huge on him (my 25th birthday - we’re 4 years apart):

Nov 2005

He takes religion seriously (this is the day of his Priesthood ordination, January 2006):

Davey Priesthood Ordination

And has a special love for Gram, who has lived near him his entire life; even when he moved to a group home in Wichita, Kansas when he was a teenager, she sold her house here and moved to Wichita (her 81st birthday):

Grams Birthday 2006

Davey calls people all the time. He has stayed in touch with tons of relatives – from our wonderful Aunt Babz to many of my grandparents’ siblings that are still alive, to family friends that live all over the country… he calls them on a regular basis. He calls me at least once a day, sometimes happy, other times complaining about some frustration. He calls my parents at least twice a day.

phone2006

Davey likes to go places, even if it’s just down the street to the lake with us:

Parents birthday dinner

He’s definitely not one to sit around at home and do nothing.

dads birthday 2006

He’s pretty good at blowing out the candles, even if it takes a few tries (his 22nd birthday):

Davey Birthday 2006

And like I mentioned before, he really loves Gram. Her license plate says, DVSGRAM:

Davey Birthday 2006 v2

We like to tease him on Sundays because he tends to wear his pants a little too high – he doesn’t always appreciate the teasing, but we can usually convince him not to have the pants above his belly button.

davey suit

He LOVES to travel and has gone on some fun trips alone with Gram or my dad, and also as a family (notice his shirt from a recent trip on his 23rd birthday):

davey2007

He likes trying new things. This is from Thanksgiving 2007 – eating at the Kellogg Thanksgiving with friends because my parents and Gram were in Italy (Gram was on vacation with friends, fell in a train station and broke her hip – my parents flew out to help her while she was in the hospital).

thanksgiving 2007

Davey LOVES bowling. He bowls every Saturday in a special recreation league in his area. He has his own bowling ball, bag, shoes… I wish I knew what his highest score was – it’s somewhere around 130.

Thanksgiving 2007 - 2

Eli has always loved Davey. I think they’ll always have a close relationship. Probably Charlie too as he gets a little older.

christmas 2007

Rocks with Eli 2009

And here’s Davey on the computer, which is often where you can find him, looking up deals, movie reviews, anything entertainment related, particularly with country music singers.

thanksgiving 2008

We love you Davey!

11 comments:

DC Diva said...

Beautiful post Sarah. Great pictures of Davey. I believe you are mutually blessed to have each other.

Jenn said...

Happy Birthday Davey! That was a great post. It was fun to learn more about him. I always love when he's around because he's so fun to talk to and is always so interested in our family and our kids and how we're all doing. Davey is a great guy!

Marci said...

He's so cute and lucky to have such a wonderful family! I loved learning a little more about him :-)! Happy Birthday Davey!!!

The Yosts said...

Great Ode and I love the pics of Davey with your boys.

Lindsay said...

Happy Birthday to Davey. He's such a sweetie!

The Gramster said...

Wonderful, loving post, Sarah. Davey is a blessing in my life. I look forward to knowing the "real" him on the other side some day.

Sarah Beck said...

Sarah, your brother sound like he's an awesome guy! I love how close he is to everyone in your family. Tell him happy birthday from me :)

Emily said...

That was a really sweet post. I love how you two are holding hands in the picture from 1993.

Gwendolyn said...

Oh happy birthday Davey!!! He's such a sweet guy--actually, at 25 we can probably say he's a sweet MAN. He's doing so great :)

Beckie said...

I got a little teary!
We love Davey too!!! What a special brother you have. He really does touch everyone. Happy Birthday Davey!

Krazy Khania said...

That was great Sarah!! I love Davey too. He really is a fun person to know...Happy Birthday!