Sunday, June 22, 2008

What NOT to do When Your House is on the Market

While our first choice is for the house we were interested in to become available again, we don't have a whole lot of time to wait around and see what happens. So this afternoon I ran around to 10 open houses in hopes of finding the perfect Plan B. However, these are some of the things I found instead:
  • Trash can filled with used maxi pads (GROSS - at least empty your trash cans before your open house people!!)
  • Dirty bathrooms
  • Smelly, stained carpets
  • Closets with clothes piled on the floor (how hard is it to pick up your clothes??)
  • Closet stuffed with linens that started falling out when I opened the door
  • Stinky teenage bedrooms
  • Dingy kitchens that had weird smells
  • Weird pet odors
  • Floors that felt greasy

I can't tell you how discouraging it is to look at these homes that are not exactly cheap, and to not find a single one that was really in great showing shape, unless it was totally empty and the people had already moved out. There were a few of those too.

And actually, I take it back - there was one house that was really cute and in good shape, but while advertised as a 3-bedroom, it was just a 2-bedroom with another room in the basement... so it didn't fit what we were looking for. Eli and I are going to go see some more places tomorrow with our realtor... hopefully there are some decent ones in the bunch!

8 comments:

Beckie said...

GROSS! I can't believe they didn't empty their trash can!!!
good luck with Eli and house hunting tomorrow

Sarah Beck said...

I laughed so hard when I read your list. It is SO TRUE. I swear we looked at 30 houses before we found ours, and I was crying hysterically the first night...seriously thought we would never find a house. Something will come up, I promise! And the 3 bedroom all on one level--I thought that was impossible for us to find in Fargo. Just as I was ready to cave in and possibly put Whitney or Joshua in the basement, our house came up. Stick to your guns, it'll happen!

Mrs. Dub said...

It's almost like they don't want you to buy their houses. But maybe your dream house will show up tomorrow (and they'll dispose of their sanitary products appropriately).

Laura said...

Good luck in your house hunt. I'm sure you'll find one without gross stains and smells.

Mike, Jess, Elijah, Julia and Amelie said...

Yucko. That's just crazy! I checked out your apartment-for-sale blog and it looks so tidy, clean and inviting. The houses you saw could learn a few lessons from you guys!

Mostess Mommy said...

What? You're not supposed to leave dirty diapers in every room of the house? Shoot, I better clean up before Doreen hears about it :)!
Sorry to hear how bad the pickings are...if you need moral support, Quiinton and I can go with you!
P.S. we went to a condo open house a couple of weeks ago with rotting fruit on the counter! PEOPLE!

Amber said...

Oh I can totally relate! We we shocked when we started looking at houses in SLC. Can you believe that some people think their home will sell looking like that?
Man, when we put our houses up for sale, I ALWAYS remove all clutter-including the shampoo from the shower!
Good luck on the hunt!

emandteem said...

Wow! I can't believe your house is under contract already. Congrats. HOpefully the other home will be available again. Happy house hunting!