My wonderful grandma passed away a few years ago. Since then, my grandpa had remarried a really great woman, Judy. He was so lucky to have a few more years full of travel, fun, and companionship with her. I appreciate how much she did for my grandpa, especially in this last year as his health went downhill.
Some Memories of My Grandpa:
- My earliest memories are from when I was really little - he and my grandma would visit us and he and I would walk to a nearby bakery to get donuts or cookies together. He was always happy to share treats me with me!
- When I was at BYU, he always offered to take me/pick me up from the airport when I would travel home for holidays. It was a little scary at times because he was a slightly crazy driver, but he was always happy to help me
- He and my grandma would take me out to breakfast every month or so (while I was in college) and those were always fun bonding moments
- He loved Ben from the beginning (they met at one of our monthly breakfasts when I brought Ben along) - my grandpa had a PhD in Pharmacology, so he thought it was great that Ben was studying chemical engineering and that he also ended up pursuing a PhD.
- Eli was his first great-grandchild, and my grandpa gave him a silver train bank with both of their names engraved on the end with their shared birthday. Eli loves that train and often holds it while we're in his room reading books together. Eli and I last saw my grandpa in May when we were in Utah.
Instead of getting on an airplane, today I'm home with my now sick child. Last night he had a fever of 103, the chills, and was pretty miserable. This morning we went to the doctor and it appears to just be a virus. It's weird - one minute he is totally falling apart and seems wiped out, and the next minute he seems totally normal (like in the above picture I took this morning). He choked on his cheerios this morning, which made him gag and throw up his breakfast all over me, which was an added bonus. On the up side, it didn't smell as bad since he'd barely eaten it all :)
I think today is a day to eat chocolate and try not to be too sad. I know that I'll see my grandpa again someday.
And I hope this baby waits to come until at least next week after my parents are back from Utah.