Monday, March 17, 2008

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Every St. Patrick's Day, the Chicago Journeymen Plumbers Local Union #110 turns the Chicago River a bright neon green with 40 pounds of dye. I love this tradition! You may have seen this in the movie, The Fugitive.

We didn't make it into the city this weekend for the festivities, but I thought it would be fun to post some pictures when we went two years ago (last year I was too pregnant at this time to really enjoy the excursion).

Below - two drunk guys stripped off their clothes and jumped in. Amazingly, they managed to swim over to the side and climb out before the police arrived to arrest them. I was amazed at how many people were already drunk by 11 a.m...
Here we are on the way to see the parade. It gets very crowded!



6 comments:

Laura said...

I miss Chicago!!!!! Thanks for posting about that great tradition, and Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Beckie said...

how fun - cute pictures...that is on my list of things to do in Chicago!

Amber said...

I love the new background and header picture. Happy Easter!

Anne said...

I love St. Patrick's Day in Chicago! I don't think anywhere else celebrates quite a well.

The Yosts said...

I missed the parade! When I went with my sister we saw some spectator dressed up like Jack Sparrow. I wish I took a picture of him because he was really decked out!

Sarah Smith said...

That green river is amazing! Jeff says they should dye it blue the other 364 days of the year because it is so nasty! We miss Chicago (but NOT the weahter!)