Sunday, March 02, 2008

Let's add an ear infection to the mix - and Happy Casmir Pulaski Day!

Eli was doing a little better on Friday, but by Saturday, he wasn't sleeping well, screamed when we tried to change his diapers, and was pretty irritable and fussy all day.

Eli didn't sleep well on Saturday night and woke up in a miserable mood, so this morning we brought him in to the doctor for a sick visit... sure enough - he has an ear infection. It's very common for kids with RSV to also get ear infections. Poor little guy. Now he's on an antibiotic and I'm really hoping things will improve in a few days.
Today our weather was in the 40s and the snow was melting, so there are huge puddles of water all over the place. The big grassy area in front of our building looks like a big pond of murky water. I will say I got a little grumpy when I heard we have more snow in the forecast for this week. It's MARCH for Pete's sake!

I realize this is a random post - tomorrow we celebrate Casmir Pulaski Day here in Illinois. Pulaski was a Revolutionary War calvary officer who trained soldiers in the US military. He was from Poland, and since we have a high concentration of Polish people in Chicago (our city has the most Polish speakers outside of Poland), the city celebrates this day with a parade and gives the kids a day off from school. My favorite part of the holiday is saying his name with a true Chicago accent - practice with me now: "Caaah-smeer Puhlaaahhski" with lots of emphasis on the "a" sound. Like how you would say "back" with a strong eh/ah. Ben says it's like saying "yak." It's hard to describe!

*If you want to learn more about the Chicago dialect, check this out.

Happy Birthday Casmir Pulaski!

6 comments:

Beckie said...

oh Mr. Man, i hope you are feeling better soon! I know the meds will help!

I think i will have the girls check out this post, you know in honor of them making fun of MY midwest accent! :) Don't ya know...

RP said...

Thanks for the history lesson! We were wondering what Pulaski Day was and why there was no school!

I hope Eli is feeling better. Ear infections are not fun at all. Our oldest two had so many they both had tubes in their ears...

I'm with you on the snow thing. But, we made it to March, right? March just seems to be a happy spring month, even if it doesn't really show it outside!

Rachael said...

I am so sad that Eli is still sick.
You sound just like Christopher when you speak with you Chicago dialect. I am so proud of my Chicago speaking son.

Cami Severson said...

Hey Sarah, just thought I note an observation! You have already (with this blog) surpassed the number of blogs you posted last year, and its only March!! That has got to be some kind of record!! You deserve some sort of medal. Keep it up, your blogs are always fun and informative!

Jodie, Stefan and Natalia said...

Sarah,
I'm so sorry to hear it's been such an awful week for you guys. I hope Eli is feeling better soon-- poor little guy! Let me know if you need anything!

Marci said...

I can't believe poor Eli has a new ailment now! I hope he's feeling better soon! Hopefully he is just trying to get all his "sickness" done at once and won't have to deal with anything else for a long time!