Thursday, July 17, 2008

A Random Bit of Everything

Tonight I went to Burger King at 10:15 p.m.

I was the only woman in the establishment, with two guys in line before me and about ten after me of all shapes and sizes. This place gets a little sketchy at night, but I didn't care. I just wanted a burger (and this was the only place open after 10 p.m. in our funny town). I usually hate fast food, but feeling full was top priority at the moment, so there I was.

Too bad they messed up my order and put mustard on it - gross! I was hungry enough (and so happy not to be nauseous in that moment) that I wiped it off and ate the burger anyway. This is not my usual way of doing things.

On other subjects... today was the inspection on the house. The inspector, Rafeek, was very thorough and it lasted three hours. Eli was over at my friend Lindsay's house (thank you!!) playing with her daughter Katelyn - it was such a huge help not having him there with me. I was thrilled to be sitting in this air conditioned house while it was 85 degrees and humid INSIDE my condo. No joke. And I wonder why I have felt so sick this week?? It's freaking HOT in our place.

So overall, the house is in great shape. However, the basement has vinyl floor tiles with asbestos and the chimney is not lined properly. These things don't have cheap fixes and we'll hopefully get a credit from the sellers, but I kept thinking how grateful I was that there weren't other MAJOR things wrong with the house.

And lastly, I have to share a funny story. Please take it in stride - this is about my friend's little 2-year-old George who lives in a wonderful, diverse neighborhood. My friend is very politically correct and proper and teaches George all kinds of terrific things. Katie doesn't blog so she told me I should put it on mine :)

Katie emailed me earlier this week with the subject line: Hi! This is so funny AND embarrassing. So here, we go - this is about George and his beginning knowledge of politics :)

"You will appreciate what just happened to us at Whole Foods!!! In the checkout, George looked at the tall, African American gentleman behind the checkout and said "Obama." THEN he looked at the other, tall, African American gentleman bagging the groceries and said "Obama." Fortunately, no offense was taken, in fact one of the guys seemed to think it was a compliment. The lady in the next aisle over along with a few other customers were all laughing."

I thought it was so funny in a very innocent way. I love that George knows Obama's name. Now he just needs to study Obama's picture a little better :)

George for Obama 2008.

7 comments:

Sarah Beck said...

I'm glad nothing major is wrong with your house. Hopefully you'll get credit from the sellers. George's story is so cute. When we drive by and see an Obama bumper sticker, Whitney always yells, "that's barack obama mom!" (she can't read, I just think she recognizes the logo).

Heather said...

What a funny story! And I'm so glad you're house is in pretty good shape. There are worse things than not being able to roast marshmallows over the fire.

Kell's Belles said...

I ALWAYS crave burgers when I'm pregnant!

Thanks for sharing George's story. That is hilarious!

Lindsay said...

I'm glad you craved that hamburger fix...George is so funny!

Aaron and Emily said...

boy, you were hungry - you didn't even exchange it!

Christina Huling said...

that's really funny! The burger thing isn't wierd. Glad to know you are like the rest of us~! Do you have a little belly yet? Sorry I've been absent the past month! I'm so happy for your pregnancy!

Kara said...

george...that's awesome! tell katie "crafty kara" says "hi". she started calling me that back at our creative club playgroups. like the grocery guy--it's not quite the right name but a compliment none the less!