Wednesday, August 06, 2008

I Hate Flying Beetles and other late-night distractions

This post is not going to have any pictures because the thought of taking a picture freaks me out. I just got off the phone with my friend Rebekeh, who calmed me down when I called her more than an hour ago, FREAKING out over big, black, flying beatles in my living room. Three of them, to be exact. Just typing that gives me the willies. I called her in HYSTERICS because the bugs were flying around me and I am not brave enough to kill them. Now there is nothing she could do, because her husband is also out of town today and she had her two sleeping children, but oh my goodness. I just needed some moral support and someone to share my bug problems with. So thank you Rebekeh!! I'm glad you didn't make me feel like a total idiot for bawling about beatles.

Killing bugs is Ben's department. Not mine. I usually yell for him, then point at the bugs and watch them until he comes back with a wad of tissue. Then I make sure he flushes them down the toilet, rather than just throwing them in the trash, because I want to be SURE that these bugs are history.

I like to think I am a strong, independent person. But tonight I was neither of those attributes. Instead, I was a crying, ballistic silly girl who was scared of beatles. BEATLES?? Ridiculous. I even pulled out the fly swatter after I hung up the phone, hoping I could get up the nerve to kill at least one of them. But no. They are still loose, flying around in my living room. Hopefully now that the lights are all off will make them want to go elsewhere. I think they snuck in under baseboards - there is a big enough gap in this old place that a sneaky beetle (or three) could come right in. Yuck yuck yuck.

So here I am, at 12:50 a.m., trying to calm down from my two hours of tears, wishing Ben were home and that I had gone to sleep at 10 instead of 1. Last night I was up late because Chicago was slammed with crazy, powerful lightning and thunderstorms that were so intense. The tornado warning earlier in the evening was enough to put me on edge, worried that I would wake to sirens going off in the middle of the night.

One other thing - don't rent the movie Grace is Gone - it is DEPRESSING. It's about a dad who learns that his wife, who is serving in the army in Iraq, has died, and how he puts off telling his two daughters for a few days and instead takes them on a road trip. It is so so so sad, because you anticipate him finally sharing the news through the whole movie. Ugh. Take my word and don't watch it. Unless you want a movie that will put you in tears so you can have a good cry.

It's definitely not a great one to watch when your husband is unreachable for five days, hiking in the wilderness somewhere. Or when you're pregnant and have all kinds of unreasonable thoughts running through your mind. Like the possibility of beatles attacking me in the night. YUCK. Let's hope tomorrow night is uneventful!! I need more sleep. And more courage to kill those bugs... good night.

10 comments:

Heather said...

Ugh. Bugs at night are so much worse than bugs in the day. We get lots of them too in this old house--I've been woken up by ladybugs landing on me, but luckily it's never been anything worse than that (that I know of!).

Sarah S said...

It IS funny how bugs are so much creepier in the nighttime. Yet reading my post again this morning put me in tears again. I hate feeling like the bugs have that power over me... silly silly silly.

Marci said...

Oh Sarah, You made me laugh and feel bad at the same time :-). Just blame it on being pregnant - everything is much more upsetting with all those hormones in your body :-)! (and thanks for the advice on the movie - I cry watching anything these days it seems)

Kell's Belles said...

I SO feel your pain. I just spent 20 minutes trying to get a bee out of the house that Chloe let in. I like to spray chemicals around to avoid direct contact, but that's probably not the greatest method when you're pregnant. Anyway, here's hoping those beetles are smart and stay hidden tonight!

Lindsay said...

I hate bugs too. I freak out. When there was a wasp in my apt. I trapped it in the bathroom and the appraiser that came over had to kill it for me. It was like I was six. I was a total baby. Thanks for the info on the movie. Sounds really sad.

Aaron and Emily said...

Why don't you rent some fun comedic movies or something like that? Let yourself relax. Pamper yourself for a few nights. Watch a movie you know Ben wouldn't want to watch with you.

Joe V. said...

Yeah, I hate 'em, too. They were OK in the beginning, when they were cleaner, but later on things got kind of icky. Seems the Indian influence didn't do much good for their sound. And then Yoko was the—

Oh, the beetles. Never mind. :-)

Sorry to hear about your rough night. The tornadoes made news all the way out here!

Jodie, Stefan and Natalia said...

i don't blame you sarah-- i think i would have done the same thing! i am fine with bugs outside-- not inside my apartment. stefan is also the bug killer in our house. one of the worst experiences of my life was when we lived in skokie on keating and we discovered that our apartment had roaches! AHHHHH! we are clean people, so it wasn't us, but I seriously thought i might have a heart attack. we decided to move out because of it and the night before we moved i was lying in bed when i felt something run across my back. i screamed so loud stefan, who was in the livingroom, thought someone had broken in and went to get the bat. he came in and killed it as i ran out of the room. he told me at that time it was just some beetle to soothe me a little, but later i found out it was, in fact, a roach! disgusting! i couldn't sleep for a while after that!

Beckie said...

I am so glad you called me! Call me ANYTIME! I just wish I could have come and killed them -ok I probably would have come and screamed with you. Who am I kidding!!!
Ugh and Jodi with the roach on her back. BLAH!! Did I ever tell you the story of the roach in my shave ice in Hawaii???

Beckie said...

potato pataahto who cares! Beetles beatles... ; )
funny though i didn't even notice...

those are cute pictures of Eli!
thanks for taking cute ones of my kiddos too. I was just talking to Keenan how I may have to use you to take some fall pictures of my kids. Ava's one year : )