Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Moving Countdown

All I can say - we have had two nights of power packing and I'm already completely, utterly sick of it. Last night I packed up most of the kitchen, but have a few random pieces still to pack up. Ben tackled the storage unit in our basement - that was a big job. This morning, Eli helped me work on packing the things in his closets, but every time I put something in a box, he would help by pulling it back out. :) I've had a few friends offer to watch him so I can get more packing done during the day, but I think he would go nuts right now if I dropped him off at someone's house and left. He really is not sure what to make of all of this mess and the changes to his little home.

I vowed to Ben last night - next time we are getting full-fledged movers. I don't care how much it costs - I don't ever want to pack all of this junk again. Either that, or we're never moving again. Both options are fine with me!

Many of our friends have moved multiple times and I honestly don't know how they have done it - this is just our second move in almost 8 years of marriage! We had a condo in Utah for 18 months and then lived here for 6 years. However, I'm afraid though that living here for so long (before Eli was born) helped us accumulate WAYYYYY too much stuff.

Two more nights of power packing left before we need to be done! Yikes. The biggest thing I'm thankful for this week though - the weather! It's been in the mid-70s and just perfect. No a/c needed and so unusual for August in Chicago. It's made such a difference in what I'm able to get done - I feel a million times better when it's not 90 degrees in our place.

6 comments:

Heather said...

The last few days are always so stressful! There's nothing wrong with throwing all the junk in boxes and then organizing/tossing it after the move. Sometimes that's the only way to get it all done!

Marci said...

You're almost there! I can never believe how many things we accumulate...or how closets and drawers can hold do much of it! Mike got the drum from Ben this week and is proudly displaying it in his recording area :-). Good luck with your last few days!

Kell's Belles said...

It's so true! You HAVE to move to get rid of all the junk you accumulate. I'm amazed you've only moved twice during your marriage! Oh, how I wish I could say the same . . .

Good luck and my fingers are crossed the weather holds! You're almost there!

Sarah Beck said...

haha, I laughed when you said "we'll hire professional movers" because I said the exact same thing packing our stuff. and the last few things around the house are the worst to pack up because you didn't know what to do with them before. that's why they're last. you'll be so glad to be in your new place. i'm so excited for you!!!

Harley King said...

I'd rather come down with malaria than move.

Send some meds this way in two weeks.

Aaron and Emily said...

I get nervous just thinking about moving, and we have so little stuff to move. I don't even want to think about moving all our stuff in Fremont. And we have been confined to mostly 2 rooms. Did you do professional movers when you moved from Utah?