Monday, September 29, 2008

Goodbye, Sweet Car

I am happy, but also a little sad to say we sold our second car, the good ol' 1994 Nissan Altima. I bought this car in the spring of 2000 when I was a sophomore at BYU. I barely knew how to drive a stick shift, but figured it out after a little while. I met Ben soon after buying this car, and he will attest to riding around w/ me as I would frequently stall or have problems driving it. Once we got our newer car, this was designated as his fishing car (remember that this is the car that stranded my husband in Wisconsin last May).

The car has definitely seen better days, and needed $1200 worth of repairs for us to safely drive it around, so we decided it was time to part with it. With 153,000 miles, a missing passenger side mirror, and the need for new struts and rear brakes, I sold it this morning for $600. Craigslist is seriously amazing if you want to sell a cheap car - I posted the ad last night, and had about 20 responses in 12 hours.
We bought our other Altima new four years ago, thinking this one was on its way out pretty fast. But it's done pretty well, considering its age. I love having lots of space in the garage now, but I am sad to see my sweet car go. Adios old Altima! We will be a one-car family for at least through the winter, which will be fine.

After selling the car this morning, I took our other car to get the oil changed. I dropped it off and then walked to the park with Eli to kill some time. We got caught in a downpour, and by the time we ran back to the car place, we were both SOPPING wet. Eli didn't mind at first, but once we got home, his teeth were chattering and his lips were blue. Poor guy! I threw him in the bath and after we were both in dry clothes, we climbed under my covers to get warm. It has been pouring now all afternoon - makes me want to curl up and take a nap!

9 comments:

Marci said...

I hope you did curl up and are sleeping away right now :-)! I'm not a car person at all and have been surprised at how sad I have felt to say goodbye to the cars we have sold. Thank goodness for Craigslist! We just sold our Jeep (that wouldn't even start) on it a few months ago - a miracle :-)!

Aaron and Emily said...

what, no "sopping wet" pictures?

Rachael said...

I sold my "first" car three years ago and I still miss it. Good old Outback, someday maybe I will get another one.

Beckie said...

I am glad you were able to sell it so fast!!!
Marlee, Quintin and I got stuck in the down pour yesterday.

How fun to curl up together in your nice comfy bed!!

Laura said...

craig's list is awesome, thats how we found our place here in Cali. Sad to see your car go--I remember that car!!! I love the apple picking, you can't beat fresh fruit no matter what it is!! Harrison has that same green drawing toy which saves us every sacrament meeting!! (and by the way I am going to pretend I didn't see those obama pics or you might get a call from Ryan :))he he!)

Heather said...

We got caught in the rain too! I guess we'll all have to check the weather more often now that it's fall. We had to replace the brakes on our car last month--it was so expensive but we're hoping to make it last a little longer. I'll be sad to see it go!

Sarah S said...

I love Laura's comment - her husband Ryan used to give me the hardest time back at BYU about me being a journalist and a democrat :) We don't change, do we Ryan??

Jenna{Mommy in Manhattan} said...

Craigslist is AWESOME! We bought our cheap car to drive around in out here. We got a steal!! Congrats on selling it so fast! Love the story about the rain. I love it when Davis is tired enough to lay down with me. Those are sweet moments I will never forget!

Sarah Beck said...

We are a one car family too! It's really working out well for us--and I love the fact we don't have 2 cars to pay for gas, insurance, etc