Sunday, September 21, 2008

Happy Birthday to my Parents - and Eli is 16 Months

This afternoon we had my family over to celebrate my parents' birthdays this week. My mom's birthday is on Monday and my dad's is on Thursday. Ben's dad's birthday is ALSO on Thursday, believe it or not! I love that they are on the same day.

We grilled steak and peppers for fajitas, and ate that with guacamole, salsa, rice, salad, and then canteloupe, chocolate cake and brownies for dessert. I think my belly was popping WAY out after we were finished eating :) Sarah C., does this grill look familiar? (the Clarks gave this to us when they moved since it didn't fit in their storage pod) We love it, so thank you!

Below is a shot of my parents about to blow out the candles. Eli enjoyed watching Gram light them.

Eli thought it was great fun to take my dad's knife, stab it into the cake, and try to eat it that way. It got a little messy.

So I strapped him into his booster seat to eat cake and canteloupe - but not without a feisty protest. He was happy as soon as I put the cake on his tray though.


Davey gave Eli a Halloween card. Eli LOVED it and carried it around, showing it to everyone. Eli loves his "Uncle Munkle" - Davey's nickname to Eli.

Here he is, reading his card again for the tenth time.

And Eli is officially 16 months, as of yesterday! Here are some of his latest tricks:
  • He REALLY fights us now when we change his diaper, and often fusses when it's time for bed.
  • He is very observant and copies a lot of what we do - with facial expressions, words, and movements. It's amazing to see what he is learning and practicing.
  • He is getting better at communicating his needs - and when I understand what he wants, he often gives me a sweet smile and responds, "Yeah."
  • He has started to run a little more - it's cute watching those little legs go!
  • Breakfast seems to be his favorite meal of the day. Cheerios with milk and sometimes fruit too. Otherwise, he tends to snack on crackers and fruit throughout the day, and just picks at dinner foods.
  • He is still VERY attached to me, and now he calls me "Boppy" - we think it's because he doesn't really say things w/ an "m" sound (like Mommy). It's pretty funny hearing him call out, "BOPPY!!" when he wakes up in the morning. I love it.
  • He loves folding his arms when it's time to pray. That lasts for the first two seconds, and then he usually starts eating or playing while we finish the prayer :)

We love you Eli! You are such a joy in our lives.

7 comments:

Heather said...

I'm sorry, I just don't believe that that angelic smile and little blond head could ever fuss about anything. What a cute boy!

Aaron and Emily said...

Can I call you Boppy too?

Lindsay said...

Looks like you had a fun party.

Anne said...

I love that Eli calls you Boppy. Ethan took forever to say anything that had an M in it. He can say some things now but he still calls me 'Happy'.....and he turned 2 in July. We'll see if I'm ever Mommy to him.

Amber said...

I'm so impressed that you take the time to record all of Eli's little moments. What a keepsake!

natalie malan said...

Wow he is getting big! Have you taped him calling you Boppy? That's too funny.

Beckie said...

He is so sweet with your brother.
That must have made him so happy to see him carrying that card all over!
what a sweet relationship they have.

I love the picture of Eli eating the cake with a knife!

Boppy is such a fun name!