Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Making Challah for Rosh Hashanah

Today we went over to the Klearmans' to help make challah for Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year. It's been our tradition to make it together over the last few years, and this time was just as fun. Except for the end, when Eli hurt himself - but I'll get to that in a second.

Caroline and their nanny Agnes (Drew and Agnes mixed the dough earlier in the morning - I showed up when it was time to do the braiding)

Saralyn and Drew - he was very excited to help with the braiding.

Smiley Will watching the challah-making process

Here I am with Eli, before his fall. Yes, he fell from that chair that I'm leaning on in the picture (that is stool-height) and hit his forehead on the hardwood floor. I was way too trusting that he would be okay up there (he wanted to be a part of things, and it was too hard to hold him the whole time). So I take complete blame and am glad it wasn't worse...

I forgot to take a picture of the finished challah this time, but here is a picture of our beautiful challah from a few years ago. It's delicious!

3 comments:

Aaron and Emily said...

If you only knew how many times Adele has fallen and hit her head. It was constant non-stop in Fremont off those benches. She has done it twice off of the high stools at Cami's house these last few weeks, and a third time I caught her arm before she totally fell, so she was able to swing around and land on her bottom instead of her head. I can't believe she's okay every time, when I fall just once and end up with memory loss and seizure. Some kids are never careful. I don't think i am a totally careless mom, because I watch Dawna sit at the Fremont benches with her feet on the table while she sits on her booster seat, and we always tell her to take her feet off. Somehow she has never fallen backwards. Adele has fallen maybe a dozen or two dozen times there. So Eli's ONE fall is no biggie!

Beckie said...

looks so yummy!
Eli I hope your head is better and please don't scare your mommy like that AGAIN! Poor Mr. LOVE!

Sarah Beck said...

do you have the recipe? I have always wanted to make challah bread. And I hope Eli's okay!